September 2011 Moms
Options

Sore foot--what to do?

This morning I twisted my foot (it sort of tilted sideways when I was slipping on my shoe). It hurt. Then it was fine for a while, and I walked around and did stuff, but now it really hurts, even though I iced it and took some Tylenol.

Supposed to go to the doctor tomorrow, but doubt the ob-gyn will know much about feet. At the same time, I don't want to go to the ER and get an x-ray (radiation doesn't seem like a good idea).

I'm guessing it is just a sprain. My inclination is to just wait and see how it feels tomorrow. What would you do?

Re: Sore foot--what to do?

• Options

I'm a physical therapist. Sounds like a mild sprain to me. When you twisted it, did it swell up? Did you hear anything "pop"? A mildly sprained ankle will swell up a little and will be a little painful to put weight on. A more severely sprained ankle will swell up quite a bit and you may not be able to put weight on it for more than 1 or 2 steps. I don't think you could have fractured it, based on what you described.

If it were me, I would continue to ice it and, without putting weight on it, move it around - spell the alphabet with your ankle a couple of times a day. Mild sprains usually take anywhere from 24 hrs to 5 days to get better. If it continues to hurt or if it swells up significantly, you may need to get a brace and/or seek further medical attention for it. 

Hope this helps! :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"