May 2011 Moms

Colicky Baby

Anyone dealing with a baby with colic???

I have no idea what to do.

It seems to hit every night around 730 and lasts until midnight, at least. Yesterday it started about 430 and she wasn't happy until about 11pm. 

It's exhausting and she seems happy for a minute and then as soon as I move or lay her down it starts all over again.

Any suggestions are welcome.

TIA.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Colicky Baby

• What do you try on a regular basis? That might help people know what to suggest.

In general .... swings, bouncers, lay on top of a running dryer, run vaccuum cleaner or hair dryer, the 5 S's (Google it if not tried yet), ride in car ....

When Ashley has her "worked up" nights, I find that going outside (after dark) helps her calm down. Something about the night air, the breeze, the quiet and the darkness helps reset her. I just go out front holding her and rock/swing/bounce her in my arms. Sometimes I will sing quietly or "shush", but usually we are just quiet.

~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • darmcadarmca member

Not really recommending this because I know it's 'bad' but my LO was really colicky in the evenings. I'd start trying to put him to sleep at about 8:00 and it would usually take until 1:30AM for him to stay sleeping in the crib (he'd fall asleep nursing and then wake up screaming within 5 minutes of being put down).

I've started putting him to sleep on his stomach- he has excellent neck control so I feel somewhat okay about it. The last four nights I've put him down at 8 and he has stayed sleeping until midnight- that's pretty much the longest he has ever slept in one go. 

I know it's 'bad' but he's sleeping and I am sleeping and we are both much less cranky. Dr Sears  says many babies who seem to have colic may be having reflux and babies with reflux sleep best on their stomachs and at a 30degree slant (though he states to discuss sleeping position with your doctor).

• Loading the player...
  • Two words.  COLIC CALM.  It is a homeopathic gripe water that is FDA and pediatrician approved.  It is not like any other gripe water.  This stuff saved our sanity!!!  Not sure if you have a CVS Pharmacy in your area but if so...go get some!!  Otherwise, google the stuff and see what vendors in your area carry it.  I promise you that this stuff will work.
  • AZ123AZ123 member

DS is 6 weeks and doesn't have colic daily but on the nights he does, it is misery. I give him gripe water. I also hold him upright and tuck his legs up (so I'm holding his feet essentially to put pressure on the belly) and bounce him on the exercise ball. On these nights, I do that for about 20 minutes past when he falls asleep to make sure he's out. Sometimes it takes 3 tries to get him in his crib. When he's hysterically crying and unable to calm him down and i know he's overtired, I'll swaddle him and sit with him on the bathroom floor while running the hair dryer.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"