August 2011 Moms
Options

Has anyone delivered naturally with no drugs or classes?

It seems like there is a lot of talk about all of our upcoming birth's. 

I'm just curious to see if anyone has given birth naturally with no epidural or any type of drug or classes. 

My best friend gave birth naturally with no drugs or classes and I that is my goal.  I haven't taken any classes, and the epidural not only scares me but may not be an option for me as I've had back surgery.

Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Has anyone delivered naturally with no drugs or classes?

• Options

Both my SIL and my neighbor have given birth to 3 kids apiece without drugs and without classes.  

It can be done.  I will not take classes, but I am reading natural childbirth classes. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've had both my other two kids naturally and planning to have this one naturally also. I've considered getting and epidural since all my gf thinks I'm crazy to do it naturally, but after all the stories I think I'm going to stick to my original plan. It's not so bad once its over and one with! Good luck!! Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

::raises hand::

I did. But to be honest, I was very lucky because I had such an amazing nurse who coached me through the worst of it. And the no-drug was not a choice: the anesthesiologist was just too busy that day and I wasn't very high on the priority list. I am hoping I can get an epi this time. But at least if I don't, I know it won't be the end of the world (well, it will be, but only for a few hours :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My SIL did it. 
  • Options

My sister has done it twice.  The first time she wanted the epidural but baby came faster than the doc could get there.  The 2nd time she knew she could do it and he was born less than 6 hours after her first mild contractions. 

I won't be taking any classes but I have hired a doula to help me with labor and plan to go med-free.  It can be done!

• Options
    I plan on doing it. I will NOT take drugs and I never got to take a birth class. I am however, reading natural birth books to help prepare.
  • Options

The classes we took were pretty much the same as the ones on childbirth that we had in high school, so nothing new there.  Then they were mostly about caring for the baby.  They were free, so we didn't pass them up.

Our hospital also doesn't offer the full epidural, only the intrathecal and ONLY if we are not progressing fast enough.  We can get pain med in the IV, but again, my Dr. doesn't like to do anything extra because it apparently can slow down labor (and personally, I want labor to get over with as fast as possible).

I already know I will be having antibiotics in the IV, but hoping that I won't need any pain meds and can go as natural as possible.

• Options
    Deciding on a natural birth is one thing, but having a goal to do it without any classes (and I'm assuming you mean education) doesn't seem like a good plan to me. If you want to go natural, go for it - but read up as much as you can beforehand so you are educated on different breathing techniques as well as possible complications. Good luck! Sorry if I misunderstood your post and you do plan to go natural and read up on it....! 
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    megd06megd06 member

I did--the only "class" I took was the 2 hour childbirth class at the hospital which was DEFINITELY pro-epidural, and was mainly to let you know how things ran at the L&D unit. I read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way (by Susan McCutcheon) and that was the extent of my "natural childbirth education". I've been re-reading it for this time around.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    megd06megd06 member

imagehomediva:
    Deciding on a natural birth is one thing, but having a goal to do it without any classes (and I'm assuming you mean education) doesn't seem like a good plan to me. If you want to go natural, go for it - but read up as much as you can beforehand so you are educated on different breathing techniques as well as possible complications. Good luck! Sorry if I misunderstood your post and you do plan to go natural and read up on it....! 

Homediva is right...not taking classes is one thing, but you can easily find a dozen books at your library or on amazon that go over different stages of labor, knowing your emotional signposts, breathing techniques (PLEASE don't do lamaze...it's a step away from causing you to hyperventilate!), etc. It's obviously too late for Bradley classes (most last 6-8 wks) but you can easily learn about natural childbirth in a book. I'd also suggest that you have your SO read up on it with you, so he knows what to expect.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My mom did it 10 times.  

With that said, she has very easy births (you tend to if you are willing to do it that many times.) 

Honestly I am on the fence, I have done the reading on natural birth and watched videos about it.  I have mild fibromyalgia and have luckily not had a major pain attack during the pregnancy. But honestly, I don't know what will happen once I go into labor.

Crayola, Crayola Rocks!
    White Knot White Knot White Knot White Knot White Knot
    White Knot Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am going to have a natural childbirth if I can get my breech baby to flip! I have only taken the one class at the hospital, and they did cover some relaxation techniques, but they were mostly to tide you over until you can get the epi!

I am learning some self-hypnosis/deep relaxation techniques through a spoken word album I bought on Itunes for 10 bucks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"