February 2012 Moms
Options

When to check out hospital birth centers...??

Hey mommies-to-be!

Here's a question... I haven't picked an OB yet and would like to know when you checked out hospitals. I don't want to look silly by walking in and asking for a tour when I'm not even showing... Sounds stupid, I know!

In our area (Eugene/Springfield, Oregon) my decision on hospital will determine my OB...

Help! I want to know soon so that I can get in for that first exam!!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: When to check out hospital birth centers...??

• Options

Do you have any friends or family that can refer you to a good OB? If not, maybe you could read some online reviews?? I would rather make my decision about the doctor or midwife, rather than the hospital, unless I was high risk. I already have my midwife and know where I will be delivering.

PS: I'm also from Oregon:)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Start with google honestly. Check out what hospitals in your area have the best NICU. Check out their websites, some may even have a virtual tour. Once you pick the hospital see what doctors are affiliated and accept your insurance. Your going to have to decide soon though. If you have friends or family members that you can ask, talk to them as well. Good luck and congrats!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1-02/21/11 Missed M/C Twins-03/25/11 EDD-11/04/11
    BFP#2-10dpo- 05/27/11 EDD 02/03/12
    Our miracle Aidan James born 01/25/12!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes. I have a reference for Dr. Catherine York at Women's Care... She delivers at Sacred Heart River Bend... which is a newer hospital... I guess I'm just nervous!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Definitely do your research before you commit to a doctor which also commits you to a hospital. I would research hospitals first and find one that you like and one that is closest to you and then interview doctors that work through that hospital.

I did do a tour until I was about 7 months. They are really reassuring. You get to see the rooms that you deliver in and the recovery rooms. I am sure you could do a tour now, they would not mind probably. You do want to make sure that the hospital has a lactation consultant. Most have them but there are a few that don't have ones working right in the hospital. Trust me...that is a must. 

Hope this helps!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

I asked my girlfriends . . . plus I had a leg up because the local hospital was only five years ago and they gave tours. So i decided to go there and settled on a nurse midwife vs. an OB because they spend more time with you. She has delivered over 1,700 babies so I think she knows what she is doing =)

Fmaily and friend recommendations would probably be best. Most hospitals these days have history pages on all their staff members too, so once you choose a hospital you can get to know the staff a little better before you make your final decision.

Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you are concerned about the actual hospital and how it feels to you- than go tour them. I think they will run a private tour, but most have monthly tours if not. Don't feel silly since you aren't showing! You need to feel comfortable and I personally would need to see the place to know if I'm comfortable too! Good Luck!
    Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"