Working Moms

When to bring up alternate work schedule possibilities?

I?m sure this has been asked a million times before, so please forgive me. But when is the appropriate time to approach your manager with a new schedule proposal for after you have the baby? I know I?m ahead of the game here, but I?ve been giving this a lot of thought.

I work full-time and plan to continue to do so, or almost. I would like a schedule that would keep me in the office only 4 days a week, either working nine hour days (32-36 hours per week, would take a salary cut) or one day of working at home (LO at daycare).

For those who have done this, would you present one option with an alternate option? Obviously, there is a chance they won?t accept anything, but I think it?s worth a try anyway.
Thanks!

DD: 1/8/12
DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: When to bring up alternate work schedule possibilities?

• We usually had these discussions when I returned to work or right before.  When I told them I was PG, I just assured them that I would be returning and that I saw no reason why I couldn't work up until the end.  Once returning to work got closer, we discussed what my schedule would look like.  I also suggesting trying it out for 90 days before committing to anything to see if it worked.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • As soon as I told my supervisor that I was pregnant, I also told him that I would like to disuss the option of working part time.  I told him that I would notify him in writing of my proposal.  I followed up a couple of weeks later with a written proposal that I also forwarded to our two other bosses.  My proposal was accepted and everything went into effect during my maternity leave.

Do you have any idea if either option will be accepted?  Is there anyone else in your company on a similar schedule?  If I were you, I'd put in writing your first choice and if they don't like it then offer the other option. 

• Loading the player...
  • I brought it up a few weeks before my leave was up. In the end, my request was denied, but it wasn't due to timing. They just didn't want to set a precedent by allowing me to go PT.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I work a 4-day week, 9 hours M-TH and 1.5 hours from home on F (we work a 37.5 hour FT week). I brought up the possibility of an altered schedule to my boss mid-way through my first pg. A couple of weeks after initiating the discussion, I submitted my proposal. We already had the precedent of altered schedules but everyone's was different. I modeled my own schedule after was I thought would be most efficacious for my position and my needs (but only focused on the former in my proposal). Personally, I would only put the option you really want in your proposal. If they decline that, then you can always come back with a second proposal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • eec129eec129 member
    imagelasa4641:

As soon as I told my supervisor that I was pregnant, I also told him that I would like to disuss the option of working part time.  I told him that I would notify him in writing of my proposal.  I followed up a couple of weeks later with a written proposal that I also forwarded to our two other bosses.  My proposal was accepted and everything went into effect during my maternity leave.

Do you have any idea if either option will be accepted?  Is there anyone else in your company on a similar schedule?  If I were you, I'd put in writing your first choice and if they don't like it then offer the other option. 

I don't know if anyone else is on a special schedule. I work for a smaller company (about 100 people) so there aren't other employees that I know of that have newborns or babies. No one in my department does.

I feel like I'd have a better chance at a condensed schedule, but I'm not totally sure. I plan to present it as I will work extra hours to get my job done if need be (if schedule is condensed, though I hope that doesn't happen - but that will answer the question of how I will do my job in fewer hours). I feel like 36 hours might be more accepted than 32. I wouldn't mind doing 4 nine hour days. It will be a win-win...the company pays me less and I get the same amount of stuff done!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ness81ness81 member
    I just had this convo with my boss at 30 weeks pg. I want to work 8-3:30 with no lunch break. I also brought up that I hadnt had a raise in 4 years, so I hoped to not take a pay cut. He asked my timeline, and I said I would like this schdule for at least a year, and he said that sounded fine! I was so relieved.
  • imageeec129:
    I don't know if anyone else is on a special schedule. I work for a smaller company (about 100 people) so there aren't other employees that I know of that have newborns or babies. No one in my department does.

In a well-run company alternative schedules are available to ALL employees (whose work functions permit it), and do not consider the employee's parenthood status.  You're probably best off presenting it that way.

• eec129eec129 member
    imageRoxyLynn:

imageeec129:

In a well-run company alternative schedules are available to ALL employees (whose work functions permit it), and do not consider the employee's parenthood status.  You're probably best off presenting it that way.

It does say in our handbook that alternative schedules are permitted on a case-by-case basis...I just don't know of anyone off-hand that does a condensed schedule. People have all different set hours, though.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageeec129:

I feel like I'd have a better chance at a condensed schedule, but I'm not totally sure. I plan to present it as I will work extra hours to get my job done if need be (if schedule is condensed, though I hope that doesn't happen - but that will answer the question of how I will do my job in fewer hours). I feel like 36 hours might be more accepted than 32. I wouldn't mind doing 4 nine hour days. It will be a win-win...the company pays me less and I get the same amount of stuff done!

I wouldn't present this too soon - you don't want them to think that you can go 40 hours of work in 32 hours, or they may cut your pay and schedule. 

• I modified my hours and informally asked my boss. I still work a 9/80 though, judge come in early and take a short lunch so I can leave early.
  • I brought it up when I was about six months pregnant.  I had a meeting with my big boss to discuss my maternity leave (transitioning work, dates, etc.) and I used that meeting to also ask for an extra month of maternity leave and an 80% schedule.  It was approved a few weeks later.  I didn't present two alternatives, but I work at a firm where many women have done reduced schedules or part-time so I felt pretty confident that what I was asking for would be approved.  I didn't want to wait until I was on leave to ask because I wanted to be able to plan ahead for childcare.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"