Adoption

1st info session is set

It appears that our 2nd IVF did not work. I am 100% ready to move onto adoption even though we still have 1 IVF left with insurance. We will probably still end up doing that IVF so DH can have some closure, but I know it will not work.

DH has agreed to going to an information/orientation meeting with a local adoption agency that I found and like the looks of (Common Sense Adoptions, anyone have experience with them?). They do domestic infant adoption, international adoption, and foster to adopt. We are leaning towards foster to adopt based solely on financial reasons, and the more I read about it the more I think we can handle it. We are also starting counseling next month to help cope with fertility treatments not working, and to talk about adoption with an un-biased 3rd party.

Does anyone have suggestions on questions we should be armed with when walking into the info. meeting next week? It is a 1-on-1 meeting so we will be able to ask as many questions as we like. Any other tips you want to pass along would be much appreciated, thanks! I am very excited to get a better look into this path to parenthood.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 1st info session is set

• Hey darlin'

I remember you from the IF board before I drifted away. I'm so sorry your second IVF did not work.

I do not have any suggestions for questions for you since my babies are from foster care, but I wanted to say hi and good luck!  

Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • I'm sorry that your IVF's didn't work.

And I'm not any help with questions. 
    But welcome - and lots of luck as you begin these new steps.

• Loading the player...
  • Hi and welcome! I wish you the best of luck on your new journey!
    Photobucket My Favorite Part of Spring~Red Sox Baseball!
  • So sorry your second IVF didn't work. Sending you lots of luck in your adoption journey.

Jenn

image 3 IUI's all BFN

IVF#1 BFN IVF#2 BFP, loss at 19 weeks FET#1 BFN IVF#3 BFP, m/c FET#2 BFN

Missing our twins Zachary and Madison, lost at 19 weeks on 11/13/09, edd 4/9/10

BFP 7/17/10, m/c 7/25/10, edd 3/25/11

Ectopic, lost left tube 4/20/11, edd 12/6/11

my blog

• Average wait time, costs, what counseling is available to birth mothers. If they do foster to adopt ask about percentages that are reunited versus come available for adoption. Any requirements. If fostering, is daycare pays for, etc. Good for you two for getting the counseling. IF is such a soul crushing journey.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    History of IF and 2.5 years TTC. The day we were to start our first IUI we received a call that changed our lives forever and 10 month old Olivia joined our family. Shortly thereafter we got a surprise BFP and baby 2 is due July 5, 2012

• For Foster to Adopt (specifically the foster portion of the process):

Requirements for going out of town and taking child with you?

Responsibilities regarding setting and transporting to appointments?

Responsibilities regarding visits with bio family?  Even if there is TPR they may visit with siblings, grandparents, etc.  Some agencies don't have the foster parents involved at all, some require you transport, some require you supervise.  

Who pays for camp, daycare, extra curriculars? 

Who is allowed to babysit for you? What requirements do they need to meet?

What support services will the agency provide?

How frequently should you expect visitation from the agency?

How long (days) can a guest stay in your home without going through the background check process or having a physical?

What are the requirements for a subsidized adoption?

Will you need a second homestudy when you are read to adopt?  If so will the agency provide it or will you need to go elsewhere? Will there be a fee for this service?  If so who covers the fee?   

Who covers the legal fees?  With foster to adopt it is possible that the state/county/city may pay the lawyer for you or reimburse you up to a certain amount after the adoption is finalized.

• imagemysticl:

For Foster to Adopt (specifically the foster portion of the process):

Requirements for going out of town and taking child with you?

Responsibilities regarding setting and transporting to appointments?

Responsibilities regarding visits with bio family?  Even if there is TPR they may visit with siblings, grandparents, etc.  Some agencies don't have the foster parents involved at all, some require you transport, some require you supervise.  

Who pays for camp, daycare, extra curriculars? 

Who is allowed to babysit for you? What requirements do they need to meet?

What support services will the agency provide?

How frequently should you expect visitation from the agency?

How long (days) can a guest stay in your home without going through the background check process or having a physical?

What are the requirements for a subsidized adoption?

Will you need a second homestudy when you are read to adopt?  If so will the agency provide it or will you need to go elsewhere? Will there be a fee for this service?  If so who covers the fee?   

Who covers the legal fees?  With foster to adopt it is possible that the state/county/city may pay the lawyer for you or reimburse you up to a certain amount after the adoption is finalized.

Thanks! These are great questions, this really helped.

• jani7jani7 member

I just wanted to say hi from a former IF poster.  Good luck on your next steps and your journey to motherhood!  You will find that the adoption board is very friendly and helpful.

Our first info meeting was in a group setting but we were able to as many questions as we wanted.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"