Working Moms
Options

Is your company like this?

DH left early one day last week and the office manager changed his time sheet (he has to fill one out even though he is salaried/exempt) to deduct one hour.  He routinely stays late and works through lunch, his boss seems to have no problem with this and he has PTO he could use if he wanted to.  I've never worked at a place where a salaried employee was docked for time or asked to take PTO for leaving an hour early when they put in more than 40 hours a week and neither has he.  It's not that the hour of pay makes a difference, it's the principal and the fact that she did it behind his back. 
DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12

Re: Is your company like this?

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that's illegal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagejnealet:

I'm pretty sure it is too.  I sent him a bunch of stuff from our state's DOL website about it so that he can file a claim if he needs to (or wants to after he finds a new job ;-) ).

I'm more wondering about whether you have to use PTO for taking an hour off one day when you work more than 8 hours most other days.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejnealet:

This. Whenever my manger has a question about my timesheet, he asks me. A change can then be made in the electronic system, but I need to go in and approve the time move. I don't think they can arbitrarily change his timesheet without his permission, especially if his manager is okay with his working time.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo
  • Options

I'm salaried.  I don't think its a law, but we have been as told that if we work 4 hours in a day to count it as a work day.  So, if on a "day off" I sign in for 2 hours, I still take the day as leave and don't get paid for the 2 hours.

DH was salaried at his old job and they made everybody do hourly timesheets and take hourly leave, even though they never made OT.  I thought it was totally fuckedup and told DH to report his employer, but he didn't want to rock the boat, so he jsut put up with it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

My company is. I'm salaried. We are required to take our 1 hour lunch everyday. If we don't, that's our own fault. But if I need to leave an hour early, or come in an hour late, I'm expected to use personal or vacation time.

Now my supervisor doesn't always dock us for this time, but they are supposed too.  Too many people took advantage of the company when they had less restrictions and now we are paying for it.

I actually work for a great company that takes care of their employees and I love it here. But this is one little thing that they had to fix. I get it. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My company is that way too, sortof.  All the salaried people have to keep a timesheet.  On it, we are supposed to mark any time we missed during our regular working hours.  So if you are late, leave early, take a day off, etc. you are supposed to mark it.  They do not ask us, and don't want us to mark time over our regular working hours. 

I think it's completely unfair.  To me salary is salary, whether you work 30 hours or 60, you get paid the same.  Our pay does not get docked for the hours we miss, but any time you are not here between 8 and 5 (or whatever your schedule is) it's supposed to come off your PTO.  It doesn't matter if you made up the time on another day. 

HR says it's legal, and that they have to have these sheets on file for some kind of payroll audit or something.  I'm not sure I believe any of it.  I actually asked to be switched to an hourly employee, because I felt that was more fair, but they denied my request. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My company is complicated.  We have to fill in time sheets b/c it's all contract work so they have to know who to bill and for how many hours.  We have flex hours which means it doesn't matter how many hours/day you work or even how many days/week, as long as you get 40 hours in.  Some people work 4- 10's, some work 9-9-9-9-4, some work standard 8hrs/day.  We do not get paid overtime.  If you have to leave early on Monday, you try to make those hours up later in the week.  If you are not able to make them up (you work 8hrs/day the rest of the week) then you can use PTO, whether it be sick time, vacation time, personal time, depending on what the reason was.

I have no idea whether the manager can legally change the time card behind his back. She sounds like a big B****.  I would be talking to HR if I were him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, illegal.
  • Options
    His boss gave him the time/money back.  Take that crazy lady on a power trip!  ha!
  • Options
    I'm salary and fill out a time sheet and if I leave early I have to adjust my time sheet to reflect my actual hours worked. I also work for a government agency so I think in general we have more accountability when it comes to time sheets and working your actual work hours because of the public perception. I do get a set amount of management leave each year although it doesn't account for the hours I put in off the clock most years.
  • Options

I thought it was illegal for anyone but you to change a timesheet.

At our company, if we are late or leave early, if it is not pre-arranged with our boss to make up the time then we need to use PTO.  My company is pretty flexible and we can make up time another day.  

he does need to say something.  That person who changed it does not know if there were other arrangements made instead of using PTO. 

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagejnealet:

This. It may depend on the state though.  Here my firm's office manager took it upon herself to start docking my sick time when I'd go to doctors visits while pregnant. Since my sick time was my maternity leave I couldn't just let it go.
    Here if you're salaried and work at all in a day, they can't take the time from you. Unless they want to make you a non-exempt employee and start paying overtime as well

• Options

I'm a teacher, so salaried. Most teachers I know end up working far beyond 40 hours/week. However, if I have to leave early (even 30 minutes) for an appointment or what not they track it. I don't fill out a time sheet normally but I have to let them know if I'm leaving early because someone has to cover my class. Usually it's just another staff member so they're not paying a sub but they still take sick time away from me since someone else had to cover. It sucks. I can't make up the time really because the kids are there when they're there. I do often end up working more on other days when I take off early because of planning etc but I don't get credit for it. I would imagine this is true for any teacher all across the country. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

What type of work does he do?  I work for a federal contractor and my boss would reject my time card if I did what your husband did and I would have to go in and fix it.  We only have to work 80 hours in two weeks meaning if I work 7 one day I just work 9 the next.  The reason it has to be accurate is because it is illegal, exempt or not, to inaccurately report your time each day because ultaimately the federal government is paying us.  This for all employees even if you are overhead, which I am.  Federal Contracters have to adhere to stict rules.  

ETA:  At the end of the pay period you are required to take PTO for any time you are missing.  So if I leave early one day and don't make the time up in the pay period, even if it is only an hour, I have to take PTO per my company policy.  If they send me home then I am paid but if it is my choice PTO must be used.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagePinkLily1234:

It is illegal to dock pay for salaried employees, but it is not illegal to require a salaried employee to substitute PTO to get to a total of 40 hours.  If you don't have PTO and work at all they have to pay your full salary.

I think that's only true if the employer does NOT offer PTO.  If they offer PTO, and you've used your all up, they can legally not pay you full salary.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCytina:
    imagePinkLily1234:

It is illegal to dock pay for salaried employees, but it is not illegal to require a salaried employee to substitute PTO to get to a total of 40 hours.  If you don't have PTO and work at all they have to pay your full salary.

I think that's only true if the employer does NOT offer PTO.  If they offer PTO, and you've used your all up, they can legally not pay you full salary. 

Yeah, that sounds more likely... I am forced to use up all my PTO during my mat leave, so when I come back, I won't have any more until January.  Even though I'm salary, I'll be docked in salary if I take time off after I come back.  My company won't even offer comp time or let me skip my lunch and leave early. 

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"