Parenting

Quick help how to handle this?

I have a friend who is our youth minister her husband is OOT for a week so said I would watch her daughter (she is 6 and a half) today while she worked. I just told both DD and the friend (E) that I would be taking E home in 15 minutes she is now on the floor crying and throwing a huge fit. Should I just wrestle this freaking child into the car and take her home, or call Mom to pick her up? E and DD have turned the upstairs upsidedown every toy is out and when I asked them to clean it up E said no, DD looked like she was in shock, do I just let this go too and chalk it up to a bad playdate and one we will not do again?

Re: Quick help how to handle this?

• Oh and I wanted to add that the friend E lives 40 minutes away so by calling her mom I am extending the pladate at least that long and giving her what she wants.
  • I'd bribe her into her carseat and never invite her over again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageeclaires:
    I'd bribe her into her carseat and never invite her over again.
    good call maybe I could lie and tell her we are going for icecream then take her home istead, mean maybe but I am DONE!
  • Get her into the car by whatever means necessary (I like the bribery) and drop her off at the end of her driveway (not really) and don't offer to babysit anymore.  Those kinds of playdates suck. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Definitely bribe her. And then maybe drop a few hints to the mom like "maybe she's upset that dad is OOT" or something to let her get the hint that she was no angel. I'd probably give it one more chance, who knows, maybe she's usually better. Everyone has bad days now and then.
  • I'd bribe her with fruit snacks or something to get her in the car.  LOL!
  • I'd give her a 5 minute warning and promise an in car treat for kids who are good listeners and go out to the car without a fuss.  Although I'd think that by 6.5 she would be better with transitions, she could be tired from a full day of playing. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Thanks ladies this is the second time this has happened and last time I chalked it up to a bad day this time our playdated are over. I got her in the car and right now she is tellin jack to say I eat poop and my mom is mean, of course he is repeating her and thinks it is so funny. I have asked her to stop three times I need a stiff drink.
  • I can't believe everyone is saying to bribe her into the car.  Seriously?!?  I'd be getting on her level, and letting her know very sternly that she WILL NOT act like that in my house, she WILL help pick up, and she WILL NOT be coming back.  

I don't have kids over to my house that I am afraid to discipline.  She is plenty old enough to act right.  She's walking all over you. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imagejettagurl:

I can't believe everyone is saying to bribe her into the car.  Seriously?!?  I'd be getting on her level, and letting her know very sternly that she WILL NOT act like that in my house, she WILL help pick up, and she WILL NOT be coming back.  

I don't have kids over to my house that I am afraid to discipline.  She is plenty old enough to act right.  She's walking all over you. 

imageAmanimals14:

I've had 6 kids at my house each and every day this week...so forgive me if this sounds bitchy....but I'd be gritting my teeth, rolling the lips back, pointing to the car and in my "I'm not gonna take ***" voice, tell her get in the damn car now and that if she can't pull it together she will no longer be invited over to play.

Either that or I'd pick her up potato sack style and carting her to the car myself. 

This exactly!

I would sternly let the little girl know:  "We are cleaning up now.  If you don't help clean up, we won't be able to have you over to play anymore.  It's everyone's responsibility to help clean up."  Then you and your daugther go start cleaning up.  When it is time to leave I would say "We are leaving now.  Since you didn't help clean up, I'm afraid you won't be able to come back over anymore.  It's time to get in the car".  If she refuses to get in the car, pick her up, haul her butt out to the car and take her home.  I would then let her mom know how she behaved.  Not in an overly judgey/critical way, but just say, IN FRONT OF E "E got upset when we asked her to help clean up, and then refused to get in the car to leave, so she's probably somewhat mad at me right now for making her."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto jetta and amanimals. I take no shiit from snotty kids. The teacher voice comes out.

She's 6 and absolutely needs to know that she's going to help clean, be carried to the car if she won't walk and is no longer welcome in your home. Let her know that you cut her some slack the first time, but a second incidence means that she will never be coming back. Clearly someone needs to get her attitude under control if her mother won't.

AKA KnittyB*tch
    DS - December 2006
    DD - December 2008

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"