Multiples

How much per month...

Excluding day care, how much do you think you spend on the babies per month?  We are trying to figure out savings/budgeting/possibly buying a new car, and really have no idea how things are going to change! 

90% chance we will formula feed, and probably disposable diapers.  We may do a trial of cloth, but we also know our limitations.  

Thank you ladies so much!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How much per month...

• a trial of cloth = not cheap.... so i would maybe take a class on cloth and see if you really want to do it- b/c it's not cheap to start out... it's just cheaper in the long run, some day... some say that the cost of cleaning and the time = not worth the small savings in money they see- but if you do it for environmental reasons, of course, then it's got more worth.

diapers are a lot more expensive early on - when you go through about 20/day total... now we go through about 4-8 total per day.  Stocking up when i find sales, etc.. i try to pay about .15c-20c per diaper, which is harder when they are in bigger sizes.

As for formula- buy generic! The Target brands are great - we used them for all 3 boys - and save you 1/2 the cost. Walmart's generic is made by the same company as Target - and I feel is exactly the same.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • MrsLntMrsLnt member

Diapers are about $60/month.  We go through 1.5-2 boxes a month and use Amazon's Subscribe and Save for Pampers. 

We were doing name brand formula and it was about $250-$300/mo.  We just switched to generic and it'll be closer to $100/mo. 

• Loading the player...
  • SLPMelSLPMel member
    imageUsedToBeGoldie:

a trial of cloth = not cheap.... so i would maybe take a class on cloth and see if you really want to do it- b/c it's not cheap to start out... it's just cheaper in the long run, some day... some say that the cost of cleaning and the time = not worth the small savings in money they see- but if you do it for environmental reasons, of course, then it's got more worth.

diapers are a lot more expensive early on - when you go through about 20/day total... now we go through about 4-8 total per day.  Stocking up when i find sales, etc.. i try to pay about .15c-20c per diaper, which is harder when they are in bigger sizes.

As for formula- buy generic! The Target brands are great - we used them for all 3 boys - and save you 1/2 the cost. Walmart's generic is made by the same company as Target - and I feel is exactly the same.

Thanks ladies!  It's good to get an idea.

A good friend that CD recommended the Jillian's Drawers trial of cloth diapers-so that's where I was thinking it might be worth the $10 just to try them to see how they were.  

We've started stocking up on disposable diapers-and definitely plan on doing generic!

Thanks again!!!!

• imageUsedToBeGoldie:

a trial of cloth = not cheap....

if you return them its like $20. $40 for two babies I suppose. https://jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/newborntryclothdiapersfor10

• We spend about $300 a month on diapers and formula.  We buy diapers from BJs with double coupons so that usually cuts down on the cost.  We went through 900 newborn diapers in the first 7 weeks.  Since then the diaper changes have slowed down a little.  We have been unable to switch DD to generic formula due to reflux issues.  DS is on generic.  You never know what allergies or food limitations your children may have.  I would budget for both children needing nongeneric formula.  If both of our children were on non-generic formula we would spend $300-400 a month for diapers and formula.
    U/S#1 showed 2 heartbeats! U/S#2 showed Baby A's heartbeat was 157 and Baby B 's heartbeat was 183! U/S#4 showed Baby A is a Boy (heartbeat 161) and Baby B is a Girl (heartbeat 159)!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageUsedToBeGoldie:

a trial of cloth = not cheap.... so i would maybe take a class on cloth and see if you really want to do it- b/c it's not cheap to start out... it's just cheaper in the long run, some day... some say that the cost of cleaning and the time = not worth the small savings in money they see- but if you do it for environmental reasons, of course, then it's got more worth.

You can do a diaper trial for $10 (well $20 if you include shipping). You do have to put an ~$160 deposit down but you get it back when you return the diapers. I cloth diaper, and not the cheap way (prefolds), and I am already saving money on disposables and I still have around 2 years of diapering left. We saw almost no increase in our utility bills (we do have a HE washer though) and I bought our entire stash on sale. I do encourage you to at least take a class on cloth diapering or a trial before you rule it out. You might find that you enjoy cloth diapering (well as much as one can enjoy diapering). It is a rather large upfront cost (we spread it out across my pregnancy) but I spent at the absolute MAX $400 on my diaper stash (I actually think it was less than this). If you do the math using the 0.20 cents per diaper estimate it doesn't take long to start saving money.

I breastfeed so I can't help you estimate for formula but I probably spend ~$50-200 a month in other baby related expenses (clothes, food, toys, sunscreen, etc). It varies widely based on sales (I try to stock up on clothes during massive sales... like this weekend for example).

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • cadencaden member
    Formula can be fairly cheap or ridiculously expensive. My kids are on Nutramigen, unfortunately. We pay about $500 a month. Generic formula is I think about $100-150/mo IIRC. Disposable diapers, I probably pay about $60/mo incl the wipes.
  • Approximate - Formula $300, Diapers $40, Baby food $90 (cheaper if homemade - also, they are only eating solids 2x day)

My boys are growing a mile a min, and are already in size 18 mo at only 8 mo age... so we go through clothes quickly.  Luckily, we've had generous friends give us hand me downs... don't be shy to get some if you can! 

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Money flies out the door!  LOL

I would say about $450 on formula, we use name brand from Costco.  Diapers are about $60-$80 a month.  We have homemade baby food and they will sometimes eat it but we also have jarred food and that is about $40 a month.  Plus factor in deductibles for healthcare and some babies are at the doctors more.  That has been a huge expense for us between the refluxer and the ear infections.  HUGE expense.  And then there are clothes.  

DH-NOA confirmed with TESE, ME-Unexplained After 1 Miscarriage, 6 IUI's, our little miracles are here. Proud Parents of Twins. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    We're Finally Three
  • Don't forget the health insurance!  That is what is killing us right now.  My insurance went from $85/month to $808/month by going from single to family plan.  (yes, $808 - that's not a typo).That on top of the $60-80/month on diapers, the $100/month on formula, and $30 a month on veggies/fruits for making food.

If it wasn't for the insurance, we'd be doing fine.  Instead, I'm getting a 2nd job to make ends meet. ;-(

Clomid x 2 cycles ..... BFN. 6/08 Gonal F with TI- BFN. 7/08 Gonal F #2 - IUI 7/11, BFN. 9/22/08 IUI #2 and Accupuncture - Chemical Pregnancy. 11/08 IUI #3 with accupuncture - BFN. 12/08 IUI #4 BFN. 5/09 IVF #1 ER 7/6/09, ET 7/9/09 - BFN. FET 12/18/09 - BFN IVF #2 -ER 3/6, ET 3/9, OMG - BFP!!! Beta #1 3/22 -332, Beta #2 3/24 - 701, Beta #3 - 14,889 - 1st u/s - TWINS!! SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME!!! ***Why can't 88 million sperm and 3 eggs find each other in an organ the size of a pear??*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins--not through strength but by perseverance. - H. Jackson Brown
  • SLPMelSLPMel member
    imageShelley-Bean:

Don't forget the health insurance!  That is what is killing us right now.  My insurance went from $85/month to $808/month by going from single to family plan.  (yes, $808 - that's not a typo).That on top of the $60-80/month on diapers, the $100/month on formula, and $30 a month on veggies/fruits for making food.

If it wasn't for the insurance, we'd be doing fine.  Instead, I'm getting a 2nd job to make ends meet. ;-(

OMG-that is NUTS about the health insurance!  We are only going up $40 a month to switch to a family plan.  I have to continue working FOR the health insurance (DH's has a $3000 deductible before it'll even start to cover!)

We are taking anything friends are willing to give-we've been really blessed that someone has given us a DSNG, two swings, 2 bouncy seats, two high chairs-amongst other things (humidifier, bath tub, more little stuff).  We plan on registering for other things-but we know that a lot is already being covered for two!  

Thank you all for sharing-I really really appreciate it!  We are trying to stock up on some things now-diapers, wipes, etc.  The things that won't go bad!  We'll see about formula when in comes-and I'm not t*too* worried-it just seems like so much, especially with TWO!  

• Cloth diapers has actually saved us a ton on diapers. We go through quite a bit but we wash them obviously. I keep some on hand, just in case, so we are maybe $20/mth diapers tops. Formula is about $300/mth...Enfamil Gentlease...we started with Similac and then Kroger Brand which was more formula for 1/2 the price....but we're on Enfamil due to spit ups! Baby food is about $50/mth. We use jars, but it would be a little less if we homemade I think. Good luck with budgeting...I remember being there and once they were born, it was more of the hospital bills that came months later as a sticker shock to us!
  • Just FYI, I had planned on EBFing and planned our budget all out and everyday is a constant reminder that I am not in control and as much as I plan... being a MoM you just have to roll with what you have got!  So now because we have to be on special name brand formula we spend $300 in formula a month (i coupon A LOT so I can usually cut that in half... but that takes effort), diapers -I either coupon stack or do amazon mom and stock amazon mom for sales and stock up that is we use about 450 diapers a month give or take and by using sales, coupons or amazon mom I can get those for $60. I usually spend an extra $50-$100 a month on things for the girls. WIth that money I buy baby food, clothes, toys, mats etc. Also budget dr copays since babies go to the dr so much in the beginning.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'd recommend budgeting for some kind of childcare too, unless you are blessed with TRULY helpful friends and family. My 4 hours of a sitter a week costs $50 but I feel like my sanity depends on it. At about 7 weeks in, DH and I were so exhausted from our sleepless nights that we hired a postpartum doula to take the night shift once a week - $275 for 8 hours, which was really painful to shell out, but necessary for us to function enough to take care of the kids. I think we did it for 4 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SLPMelSLPMel member

imagemissfire:
    I'd recommend budgeting for some kind of childcare too, unless you are blessed with TRULY helpful friends and family. My 4 hours of a sitter a week costs $50 but I feel like my sanity depends on it. At about 7 weeks in, DH and I were so exhausted from our sleepless nights that we hired a postpartum doula to take the night shift once a week - $275 for 8 hours, which was really painful to shell out, but necessary for us to function enough to take care of the kids. I think we did it for 4 weeks.

Thanks for the recommendation.  DH is off of work for 2 weeks, then my mom will be here for 2 weeks, and then MIL will be here for two weeks.  Do you think we should be good enough?  It may be worthwhile once I return to work to get the help, it's something I've been thinking about.  Thanks again!

• imageSLPMel:
    imageUsedToBeGoldie:

Thanks ladies!  It's good to get an idea.

A good friend that CD recommended the Jillian's Drawers trial of cloth diapers-so that's where I was thinking it might be worth the $10 just to try them to see how they were.  

We've started stocking up on disposable diapers-and definitely plan on doing generic!

Thanks again!!!!

I have spent about $800 on cloth diapers. I have already recouped $150 of that by reselling the newborn sizes. I will be able to recoup $300-400 more of it when the girls outgrow them and I sell some. It costs about an extra $5 a month for special cloth diaper laundry detergent and maybe $5-10 a month to run the washer and dryer for an extra 3-4 loads a week.

We are lucky that I EP so formula isn't really a factor, but when I stop the girls will be on Neosure since they are preemies. We estimate $400 a month for that.

So, right now, our montly outlay (not including initial investment gear and diapers) for things they need is very low - under $100 a month?

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A few years ago, my financial planner said that he and his wife plan on $500 a month per child. I think they had one at the time and were expecting their second. We live in a pretty rural area, and I don't know if they breastfed or cloth diapered or did formula and disposables. I do know he factored in child care. Obviously that's for a singleton and not multiples.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"