3rd Trimester

XP from August 2011: L&D last night + questions

Short story:  33 weeks.  Yesterday about 4 o clock I started to feel really bad.  Nausea, crampyish feeling, and in my back I felt a dull throbbing pain.  Debated, but called doctor and she asked me to come in for observation.  My cervix is still long and the swab test (starts with an F) came back negative for preterm labor.  BUT, on the monitor I could "see" when my contractions were and they matched up with the pain in my lower back.  I have had braxton hicks since 24 weeks and this was different.  The nurses and doctor said it may be that because the baby has dropped, contractions are hurting worse in my back.  

So...I felt a little silly being there.  Even though there were contractions I could see on the monitor, no one seemed overly concerned and they told me to keep dehydrated and rest when I start to feel contractions like I felt last night.  

Questions:

Is it common to have little contractions this early?   

Do these contractions mean anything about how soon I will go into labor?  Could I have these for the next 7 weeks and still make it to 40 weeks? 

To those who have been to L&D and in my situation, did your doctor seem concerned?

Re: XP from August 2011: L&D last night + questions

• CHI-06CHI-06 member
    I had contractions for over a month before my last baby was born at 39 weeks.  They never got too close together and they always slowed down and went away... the doctor saw them on my NST's but was never concerned about them.  If your Dr isn't concerned I would try to relax about it... and try to take it easy and drink lots of fluids.
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • Yes you can still make it to 40 weeks. With DD I started real contractions at 27 weeks and was even 2 cm dilated. By 30 weeks I was 3 cm dilatd and by 35 weeks I was 5 cm dilated. I made it to 40 weeks 4 days before delivering her. My Dr's did give me shots of terbutaline for the contractions and steroid shots for her lungs at 27 weeks and at 30 weeks. At 35 weeks they said they would not stop it anymore and if I went into labor then I would deliver in a hospital with a NICU.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It is common to have non laboring contractions.  If your FFN came back negative then you are in good shape. If you get a negative you have a  a99% chance of making it to full term. Your back could be hurting when you have BH b/c baby could be on a nerve.
  • rwri10rwri10 member

The same thing happened to me at 29 weeks.  I was having what felt like contractions in lower back and tight cramping... My OB sent me in and on the screen it showed contractions, but my cervix was closed and negative on the test.... They gave me a big glass of water and said it was probably dehydration.. I felt dumb!

Mine haven't come back, my doc didn't seem concerned that it meant I would go into preterm labor or anything and said to keep hydrated. The nurses in l&d said it happens a lot during the summer especially.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had my first contractions at 30 weeks... I know I over did it that weekend, went to see my dr the next day because I was able to stop them and relax. My dr sent me to l&d to be monitored just to make sure everything was ok... they weren't concerned while I was being monitored because everything was manageable. 

I am not sure how long your dr will let you go through this before they either put you on meds to stop contractions or let it go.  

Hope things get better soon... drink LOTS of water and get rest from the heat. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • how close were they? Mine have been less than 10 minutes apart since 20 or so weeks and I am going to be full term Saturday. They often get less than 5 minutes apart for a few hours then spread back out. Look up irritable uterus and back labor, that could be the case for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With DS, I had painful and regular contractions starting at 29 weeks.  They felt just like early labor contractions and were spaced every three minutes.  Because they were not making any progress, my doctor was not concerned.  They continued on and off this way for the rest of the pregnancy and DS was born 10 days late, so I guess the doctor was right to not be concerned. It is scary and very uncomfortable, but totally possible to still carry to full-term. Some people just have BH that feel like regular contractions. It sounds like you are one of the unlucky ones.  Good luck!
                      Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagerwri10:

The same thing happened to me at 29 weeks.  I was having what felt like contractions in lower back and tight cramping... My OB sent me in and on the screen it showed contractions, but my cervix was closed and negative on the test.... They gave me a big glass of water and said it was probably dehydration.. I felt dumb!

Mine haven't come back, my doc didn't seem concerned that it meant I would go into preterm labor or anything and said to keep hydrated. The nurses in l&d said it happens a lot during the summer especially.

I'm glad it's not just me that feels "dumb"...because I totally did/do. 

• Thanks for the input, ladies.  I have so much to learn...
  • imageangiek1:
    It is common to have non laboring contractions.  If your FFN came back negative then you are in good shape. If you get a negative you have a  a99% chance of making it to full term. Your back could be hurting when you have BH b/c baby could be on a nerve.

This is incorrect. A negative FFN means it is highly unlikely you will go into labor in the next two weeks, not that you will make it full term.

"A positive fFN result is not very predictive of preterm labor and delivery. However, a negative fFN result is highly predictive that preterm delivery will not occur within the next 2 weeks.

In other words, when the fFN test is done on a symptomatic woman who meets the qualifying conditions, a negative test result means that there is a less than 1% chance of having a premature delivery within the next 2 weeks. The doctor will also use other tests and her clinical expertise to evaluate each individual situation."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"