Infertility

How Many Embies Are/Did you Put In?

I will be going through IVF #1 later this year. I am 28 years old with 2 blocked tubes. I have quality eggs, ovulate fine and my husbands SA checked out fine. We have been struggling with how many we will be putting in.

Just curious what others have done or decided.

We are thinking 2 blasto and a possible reg one. We are open to Twins as this might be our only change to conceive. Any thoughts?

Re: How Many Embies Are/Did you Put In?

• We put back two blasts for our IVF and FET. Our RE wouldn't even consider putting back more than two with me.

Retrieval - 33 Eggs, 29 Fertilized, 14 Frosties
    IVF #1 - 3/17/2011 - 2 Blasts

3/31/2011 - Beta #1 - 395 BFP
    4/04/2011 - Beta #2 - 1458
    4/8/2011 - Ultrasound - little bean measures 5wks 2dys
    4/9/2011 - Confirmed miscarriage
    FET #1 - 6/23/2011 - 2 blasts (already hatching)

7/7/2011 - Beta #1 - BFN
    FET #2 - 8/18/2011 - 2 blasts

9/1/2011 - Beta #1 - BFN
    Second Hysteroscopy - 9/15/2011

Uterine Septum Found and Removed
    FET #3 - 11/23/2011 - 3 blasts, 1 already hatching

12/7/2011 - Beta #1 - 193 BFP
    12/8/2011 - Beta #1.5 - 320
    12/9/2011- Beta #2 - 454
    12/16/2011- 2nd Miscarriage
    FET #4 - 3/1/2012 4 blasts

3/12/2012 - Beta #1 454 BFP
    3/15/2012 - Beta #2 1520
    3/19/2012 - Beta #3 5000 plus
    3/20/2012 - Ultrasound #1 Triplets
    6/11/2012 - Expecting 2 Boys
    10/01/2012 - Welcome to the world Bryce and Charlie
    PAIF & SAIF Always Welcome Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Siggy Challenge:The Day My Embryos Were Transferred image
  • my RE recommended 2 because I'm 35 and I'm ok (would be thrilled) with twins.  So- we are transferring 2 on Fri.
    BabyFruit Ticker ~Karen ~ tied the knot 5-10-03 ~ DS born 3-21-07 ~ expecting our 2nd
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm 29 years old. I have high quality eggs but because I have PCOS, my hormone levels are too screwy to ovulate on my own except for once in a blue moon.  I just had my transfer yesterday of one blastocyst (a five day transfer).  My RE said that in my case there would be no benefit of transferring more than one.  He said it wouldn't improve my odds, even though that seems counterintuitive.  I think with some women it makes sense, though, depending on what their issue is.

• We are hoping to put back two. I am 32 but my egg donor is 24... 
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • There are pretty strict guidelines for this. Please read the ASRM guidelines. You are clearly in the 1 blast transfer allowable unless they are of poor quality.

+++
  • In our situation, we transferred 2 blasts last cycle. And yesterday we transferred 2 good looking 4 day embies.....RE didn't give us a cell count or grade.
    TTC #1 Since 11/08 - Dx: MFI & PCOS
    7 IUIs = All BFNs
    2011: March IVF #1.2 = e/p @ 6w: May IVF #2 = BFN: July sFET #1 = BFN

2012: Jan We're Certified FC/A Parents
    May IVF #3 = c/p
    June-Nov Foster Mommy to M (Toddler)
    July FET #2 = BFN
    Aug FET #3 = BFN
    Sept-Nov Foster Mommy to Baby Bella (Newborn)
    Nov HSG/Sono = Clear!
    Dec FET #4 = BFN

2013: Feb FET #5 = m/c @ 6.5w
    May-July Foster Mom to H (8 yr old girl)
    June/July/Aug IVF #4 = Freeze All
    July = Unofficially Adopting T (10 yr old boy)
    Sept FET #6 = TBD
    **PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
  • Good Luck to you and all the other ladies going through IVF!! I wish you all well, thank you for giving me some input on your thought. I think we will go with 2 blastos since we would be thrilled with 1 or 2 babies :)
  • We put in 3 embies for our 1st IVF, 2 embies for our 2nd IVF which both resulted in BFN & 2 blasts for our FET.

It is truly a personal decision but it you feel you can physically, emotionally & financially handle twins then by all means I would say transfer 2 embies!

Wishing you lots of luck with whatever you decide :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

~*~ Our IF Journey~*~
    TTC for 5+ years
    2/09 - TI = BFP * 3/09 - M/C with D&C * 8/09 - C/P
    Jan - July '10 - Clomid/Follistim + IUI = all BFN
    Aug - IVF #1 - 3 embies transferred = BFN
    Mar - IVF #2 - 2 embies transferred & 4 frosties = BFN
    June - FET #1 * 2 embies transferred = BFP (C/P @ 5w4d)
    Sept - FET #2 * 2 embies transferred = BFP
    Nov - M/C & D&C at 10 weeks
    May - surprise BFP with no medical intervention
    Sept - 20 week US showed we're having a BOY!
    ~*~ EDD: 2/4/13 ~*~

*My IF Blog*

Our Bulldogs - Bubba & Millie
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am 27 and we put back 2 embies with our last IVF and will try to put 2 back with our FET this Friday.

My RE said with our age he wouldn't ever consider more than two.

TTC since Jan. 2010 DX Unexplained infertility
    3 IUI's w/Clomid & Ovidrel=all BFNs
    3 IVF (2 Fresh, 1 frozen) =BFN
    Jan 2012 New RE & Fresh Cycle =BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 October 2014
    Meet with RE March 2015
    2 Frozen & 1 Fresh IVF= BFNs
    September 2015 Frozen ET=BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker

• At the recommendation of our RE we are putting back two blasts. I think it depends on a number of things, your diagnosis, age, whether or not they are 5-day blasts or 3-day embies. As Edwina said, there are fairly strict guidelines, but there is also not a huge increase in pregnancy rates with two blasts transfered versus one (not sure of the rates for embryos vs blasts on thsi). I think Resolve shows some data on it, or you can look up your individual clinic's numbers.
    2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
  • We put in 2 because of my age and egg quality.  At the most, for me, they would put back 3 although I don't know if I would be willing to risk it.  As stated before, it depends upon the person (age, egg quality, dx, etc).  GL!
    TTC since 3/07. IVF#1 = canceled. IVF#2 = 0% fertilization. IVF#3 = BFN. IVF#4 = c/p.  
    Moving forward with Adoption 2017!
  • Toni79Toni79 member

As previous posters have mentioned it depends on the age, embryo quality, and dx.  Although I think alot of it has to do with the embryo quality.  Our RE didn't even want us to make the decision on how many to put back until both the RE and we knew the quality of the embies.

My clinic really tries to educate thier patients about the risks of multiples, even twins!  They discourage the implantation of two embryos at once (though they will do it) on the basis that it does not improve your chances of conceiving, it just raises the chances you'll have twins. In other words the conception rates are about the same for one embryo transfer and two embryo transfers.

This artilce that they gave me was very helpful:  "But What if I Want Twins?":  https://www.shadygrovefertility.com/sites/default/files/But%20I%20want%20Twins.pdf

Before reading this I was ok with the idea of having twins.  But after reading it I really understand the heath concerns of even having twins.  I'd rather just have a few singletons (2-3).

My RE's rule of thumd was if your embies make it to the blastocyte stage and are high quality, they recommended only transfering one.  However, if you were doing a 3 day transfer they are comfortable if you want to transfer two.  Although the final decision is yours.

In addition they try to encourage single embryo transfer (sET).  If you elect sET, and have any good quality left to freeze, they give you a 50% discount on the inital freezing fees.

In our case, we are unexpalined.  For IVF # 1 I had 5 embies make it to day 6 blastocyte (all were highest quality).  So I only transfered one.  I froze the other 4 embies (and since it was sET I saved like $800 in fees).  It ended up being a "chemical pregnancy", but heck that's closest to a "real" pregnancy that I've had! 

I'm in IVF # 2 now (about to have my FET next week) and we're again only transfering one.  However if it doesn't take this time, I think I'm going to transfer two on IVF # 3. 

Defiantly talk to your RE to see what they recommed.

I hope this helps!  GL!

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• We've put back two each time. Two pretty blasts with IVF#1 (BFN) and 1blast/1morula (mc of a singleton) with FET#1. We know the risks of multiples (my SIL has triplets who came at 27 weeks from a 2 blast transfer- it was really touch and go when they were born) but we feel comfortable with the odds. Our RE will let us do 2 but not 3- which seems reasonable. He'd rather we did a single (he only wanted to transfer the blast for this FET) but he'll do 2 upon request.
    Friends for 15 years. Married 8. TTC since January 2009
    2010 Diagnosis: Anovulation and Severe MFI
    2011 Treatment:
    IVF w/ICSI #1 Antagonist: 2 blasts - c/p - BFN 04.22
    FET #1: 1 blast/1 early blast - BFP 06.22 - m/c 06.30 @6w0d
    07-11 RPL: MTHFR C677T Heterozygous & Slightly elevated ACLA IgM
    FET #2: 1 morula - BFN: 9.02

January '12: IVF #2
    Started BCP and Metformin (New!) 12-14 for stimming in January

Dum spiro, spero.
    ?SAIF/PAIF/PgAL/PAL always welcome?
This discussion has been closed.