2nd Trimester

i just want a ham sandwich :(

I've been taking this 'no lunch meat' rule very seriously and haven't had any...my question is this (and sorry if it's silly):

If I microwave ham until it's steaming and then wait for it to cool off before I consume am I ok?

I don't think I've ever wanted a ham sandwich so much in my life.  lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: i just want a ham sandwich :(

• QmommyQmommy member
    Yes.  make yourself a ham sandwich and enjoy it!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My OB said deli meat (not prepackaged) is perfectly safe. I eat Subway all the time.
  • Loading the player...
  • YES! I eat deli meat all the time - probably more than I should. Always grilled, hot sandwiches. Yum yum!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• My doctor never even mentioned lunch meat to me. I'm sure that should be fine though.
  • Calm down and eat the sandwich. You certainly don't need to microwave the hell out of it either. Sorry but these lunch meat posts are starting to drive me nuts.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yummy... Thank you ladies!  Best news all day :)

• Yes, it's fine.... my midwife said lunchmeat is fine to eat in moderation. She didn't even mention microwaving it.

• imageColoradoAlly:
    Calm down and eat the sandwich. You certainly don't need to microwave the hell out of it either. Sorry but these lunch meat posts are starting to drive me nuts.

Ditto this!

Maybe i'm too laid back in general, but I don't understand all the hype over avoiding all lunchmeat, tuna, caffiene, aspertame (seriously? in chewing gum?) etc. I just continue to live my life, pregnant or not!

• imagehoneybee #1:
    My doctor never even mentioned lunch meat to me. I'm sure that should be fine though.

my OB or my midwife didn't either and this is my 3rd pregnancy i don't eat it everyday but if i want a hoagie or a ham and swiss cheese sandwich with bread and butter pickles i eat it!  

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersimage Photobucket
  • imageColoradoAlly:
    Calm down and eat the sandwich. You certainly don't need to microwave the hell out of it either. Sorry but these lunch meat posts are starting to drive me nuts.

Right on!!!  Go ahead and get some ham lunch meat and make your sandwich!!!  Forget about throwing it in the microwave and letting it cool because depending on how long that is you'll be dealing with food safety issues on a bigger end than if you eat cold lunch meat while it's cold! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageColoradoAlly:

Right on!!!  Go ahead and get some ham lunch meat and make your sandwich!!!  Forget about throwing it in the microwave and letting it cool because depending on how long that is you'll be dealing with food safety issues on a bigger end than if you eat cold lunch meat while it's cold! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hadnt even heard the whole lunch meat thing until I got on this board and this is my second pregnancy! Its ridiculous! Eat the sandwich and enjoy it! I eat deli meant almost everyday...I would die without Subway seeing thats what I crave a lot!! All of these meat posts are starting to get annoying!
  • Sorry if I annoyed any of you with my meat post.  But that's why I said 'sorry if this is a silly question'.

Thanks.

• OMG people eat a friggin sandwhich already, stop being so paranoid about every little thing the doctor tells you. Use your best judgement, if the lunch meat smells funny you probably shouldnt eat it, if its new go for it.
    pregnancy due date Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Don't worry about annoying people. If they don't want to read a post about meat, they don't have to open your clearly titled "ham sandwich" post.

Re: lunch meats

My doctor said to stay away from it and when I did my own research to find out why, it turns out that there's a bateria commonly found in lunch meats. So your question is not silly at all. Our immune systems are compromised while pregnant and no need to risk getting sick.

So, my recommendation for your ham cravings - go to the deli section of your grocery store and ask them to slice 0.5-1 pound of ham for you. Freshly sliced meat doesn't go through the same processing as lunch meats that get packaged that way & shipped all over. Then go home & pop your ham & cheese in the toaster oven for a couple minutes. It'll be super tasty and not at all risky. Enjoy!

BTW - taking a fresh roast of any meat & getting it sliced is a way around any sandwich meat restrictions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had taken the no deli meat thing seriously too, until yesterday!!! I was craving a Market Fresh sandwich from Arbys and went and got the turkey and swiss. OMG, it was amazing! I can't wait to go back and have another :)
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• I have not commented on these posts as of yet, but I am now.  I am almost 100% sure that your mom ate lunch meat when she was preg with you and you turned out just fine!  I have eatten Subway a couple times (some of the times I didn't know I was preg yet).  Just don't make it a daily meal and you will be fine!!!

• imagececilyandgautam:

Don't worry about annoying people. If they don't want to read a post about meat, they don't have to open your clearly titled "ham sandwich" post.

Re: lunch meats

My doctor said to stay away from it and when I did my own research to find out why, it turns out that there's a bateria commonly found in lunch meats. So your question is not silly at all. Our immune systems are compromised while pregnant and no need to risk getting sick.

So, my recommendation for your ham cravings - go to the deli section of your grocery store and ask them to slice 0.5-1 pound of ham for you. Freshly sliced meat doesn't go through the same processing as lunch meats that get packaged that way & shipped all over. Then go home & pop your ham & cheese in the toaster oven for a couple minutes. It'll be super tasty and not at all risky. Enjoy!

BTW - taking a fresh roast of any meat & getting it sliced is a way around any sandwich meat restrictions.

You are wrong.  Listeria is not "commonly found in lunch meat".  It is, in fact, very rare.  The reason they try to scare you into not eating it is because if you do happen to get lunch meat that had listeria the bacteria could cross the placenta and hurt the baby or cause miscarraige.  I doubt you would get lunch meat that had listeria unless you are getting old meat that has not been handled properly from a really dirty place. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• You are fine. Enjoy your ham sandwich.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doc actually says meat from a legit deli counter is safe. It's the prepackaged stuff you want to avoid (and I wouldn't trust the stuff sitting out at a sandwich place either). 

Enjoy your sandwich :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"