June 2011 Moms

? about comfort sucking

When babies comfort suck at the breast, are they ingesting much milk?  When DD feeds, she starts off with powerful sucks- I can feel the letdown and I know she's eating.  At some point she always either falls asleep or turns to (what I believe is) comfort sucking.  I feel a more superficial tingling in my nipple- like a tickle- rather than the deep pull.  Is she still getting milk?  I don't always notice when it happens (esp. if I'm distracted by reading or bumping, etc) - just all of a sudden I'll realize that it tickles (or she's stopped sucking all together and is sleeping).  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ? about comfort sucking

• Listen for swallows. Sometimes LO sleepy nurses at the end, but I can hear her swallowing, so I hate to pull her off. She loves just hanging out there, though!

Does this tingling hurt or are your nipples sore? I ask because LO will also pull off to just the nipple at the end of a feeding and if I don't catch it, my nipples get sore and have bled. So maybe that's why you feel a tickling? If there's no pain, though, I wouldn't worry about it. 

• I think I've read that this is when they get the hindmilk, so if she's still swallowing, I'll leave her, even if the swallows are really far apart.  This may be why our nursing sessions are 45min-an hour though!
  • Loading the player...
  • To be honest- I don't usually hear swallowing at all while feeding her- even when it's quiet in the room- although I've had the fan or AC going and it tends to be hard to hear these small noises.  Or maybe I'm just not tuned into the noise?  I have been trying to listen better- it sounds kind of silly, but I have.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"