Rhode Island Babies

New Mommy Groups

Hello! I am due very soon (July 11) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with 'New Mommy Groups' in the Warwick area?

Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New Mommy Groups

• AmyRIAmyRI member

I don't yet... but I'm starting one on June 20th. It's through the RI New Moms Connection. 8 weeks is $96. They don't have one starting in July/August listed yet, but I'm sure they'll have one once the May start date classes end. I'll try to remember to come on here and review it after it starts. https://www.rinewmoms.com/

Bellani Maternity also has a New Moms group. It's $128 for 8 weeks. They have one starting July 26th.  https://www.bellanimaternity.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=bellani&Product_Code=29&Category_Code=classes_newmom

Congrats! 

#3 Due April 2016
  • my friend mentioned that group too but she suggested that I wait to join until 20 weeks or so- please let me know how it goes. I'm a little curious what the fees pay for
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you! I will check these out!
  • AmyRIAmyRI member

imagehbaby13:
    my friend mentioned that group too but she suggested that I wait to join until 20 weeks or so- please let me know how it goes. I'm a little curious what the fees pay for

I would also say that waiting would be more helpful. But, I'm going back to work full time after 12 weeks of leave, so my only chance is now since they're all during the day. I'd love to wait until he was a little older so he could interact with other kids and know what was going on. Now it's really just for me, and I hope I'll be able to stay in touch with some other moms for when they are older and can have playdates. 

As for the fees, from an email from the RI New Moms Connection:

Our facilitated new moms groups (for first time moms) meet 1.5 hours/week for 8 weeks.  It is a wonderful opportunity to share your experiences with others while building a community of new mom friends.  We discuss topics such as one's changing identity, feeding & sleeping concerns, managing relationships with partners & friends, maintaining interests & activities, fitness and relaxation, and rediscovering yourself through motherhood.  The cost per session (all 8 weeks) is $96.  You will leave with many useful articles, activities, and resources; and more importantly, you will have a supportive group of women eager to share their new mom experiences. 

So, I guess you're paying for the facilitator, and some materials. With the Bellani group, it is run by the store, so I'm guessing their prices are higher to help pay their rent. As far as I can tell, the RI New Moms Connection groups get stores to donate space (the group I'm in will meet at Extravaganza Kids, which is a consignment store in Warwick), and in exchange they have a bunch of moms coming into their store each week. I'm almost guaranteed not to leave without buying something, so I can see how it's good for them.

#3 Due April 2016
  • AmyRIAmyRI member

Only been to one group so far, but I can't say I'm thrilled by the RI New Moms Connection. One of the women that owns it and runs the group was sort of rude to 2 moms I know from a breastfeeding support group, and I can honestly say that I don't see what I paid for yet. So far, it's just been a fee to sit in a room with 11 other mothers and talk about our birth stories. We have prescribed discussion topics for each week of the meeting, and the person running the group makes sure everyone gets a turn to speak and she does give advice, but I can honestly say that I enjoy the free breastfeeding support drop-in group I go more than this one so far. Hopefully that will change, though. I'll update again if it does!

I also know someone starting a meetup group for working mothers, so if you check meetup.com it should have something soon. There are also a few other mothers groups on there now, too. 

#3 Due April 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"