High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

First MFM visit

Hi - I posted a few days ago with this:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/55149514.aspx

Tomorrow, I am going to see the MFM. What can I expect at this appointment? Do they do anything different than my RE or OB?

Re: First MFM visit

• Options

when i was referred to a mfm for possible ventriculomegaly, the visit started off w/a very detailed u/s, that probably took a good 30+min.  then we were seated in a private waiting room (not an exam room) to meet with the doctor to go over our results.  but the u/s seemed very knowledgeable and was able to go ahead and tell us things were ok before we met w/the doc who confirmed what the u/s tech said.

after my appt they took my blood pressure.  but they've never weighed me there.

otherwise, all my appts there have been the same, i go in and have a u/s first, then during my u/s a girl comes in and takes my blood pressure, then i'm moved to a private waiting room to meet w/the doc.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I started seeing the MFM at about 18 weeks.  I was referred because of a monochorionic twin pregnancy.  Since I am seeing the MFM as a consulting Dr., they only do my u/s, not all the other stuff that the OB office does like test my urine, check BP and weight, etc.  At my MFM office, the u/s tech does the first scan and then gives it to the Dr. to review.  Then the Dr. comes in and does his own scan and talks to me.  The u/s machines in the MFM office are much more sophisticated than the one in my OB office.  Once the Dr. does the u/s he/she should give you their impression of what is going on and the plan of treatment and follow up if necessary.  Good luck tomorrow - hoping everything turns out well and you get some answers!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just wanted to add, I agree with writing down your questions and also bring a notebook to write down stuff that the Dr. tells you.  MH does this and then does his own research at home to understand things better.  Our original MFM was not the best at communicating.
  • Options

imageMrs. Alice:
    I started seeing the MFM at about 18 weeks.  I was referred because of a monochorionic twin pregnancy.  Since I am seeing the MFM as a consulting Dr., they only do my u/s, not all the other stuff that the OB office does like test my urine, check BP and weight, etc.  At my MFM office, the u/s tech does the first scan and then gives it to the Dr. to review.  Then the Dr. comes in and does his own scan and talks to me.  The u/s machines in the MFM office are much more sophisticated than the one in my OB office.  Once the Dr. does the u/s he/she should give you their impression of what is going on and the plan of treatment and follow up if necessary.  Good luck tomorrow - hoping everything turns out well and you get some answers!

Good because my OB's ultrsound machine was from like 1984! My REs is way more sophisticated and clearer. I think her machine is only confusing the problem because she can barely see what is there. UGH. Thanks for your responses. Will update tomorrow. I know I will have a level 1 ultrasound and then see the doctor. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"