D.C. Area Babies

Tell me what high chair to buy

I really want the Stokke Tripp Trapp, but our own dining room chair didn't cost that much, so I don't think I can justify it (I've stalked craigslist for awhile, but no luck yet).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tell me what high chair to buy

• We got this one based on the Baby Bargains review, and I felt like it was the only time Baby Bargains steered us wrong. It was expensive, and I never felt like DD looked very comfortable in it. If I could do it again, I would get this one; it looks more comfortable and basically has the same features (and is half the price).

Good luck!

ETA: When your child is a little older, I highly recommend this seat; we have 2 and love them (one for the kitchen, one to bring with us). It's portable and easy to clean.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers"
  • We have the Fisher Price Rainforest high chair and we love it.  It is similar to the second one linked above, but I have no idea how to embed links.  Anyway, the reasons we love it:

-very easy to clean the chair--wipes down with a wet cloth

-removable tray insert!  love this because the tray itself is big but with the insert you can just carry that piece over to be washed

-toys that attach to the high chair--both my kids loved the toys that came with it--good for keeping the baby with us at the table or for entertaining baby while we are finishing getting ready

• Loading the player...
  • For our first child, we only ever used the Fisher Price booster linked to above.  It was fine, we got ti wen she was almost 7 months old and she could sit like a champ in it.  With number 2, we have a lot more space (bought a house) so we bought a high chair, the Chicco, off of Craigslist for $20.  It does what it's supposed to do.  We don't use the tray yet, but I think the insert would be a great thing when table food starts.  They are messy those little ones.
  • My sister uses the Chicco and likes, we had an older one from the same line as the FP rainforest one.

I also highly rec the booster  from above and it might be worth seeing if your LO would do just as well in there.  It is a great space saver.

• we have https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-Chair-Scatterbug/dp/B002OOWAK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309451700&sr=8-1  (in another fabric pattern)

with our teeny tiny house i didn't have room for a full size chair that needed storage, and we liked that this one straps to one of our dining room chairs. it also converts to a booster seat down the road so no having to buy an additional piece of equipment.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • PS  Have you seen this stokke knock-off - https://www.keekaroo.com/heightrighthighchair.html.   It's almost a hundred dollars less.

• I have a Stokke. I love that thing.  I registered for it and someone bought it as a gift.  Our kitchen is small so we don't have space for a regular high chair.  I was going to get a booster type, but I read many horror stories about them.  DD 1 used it until she was about two and then wanted to sit in a regular chair.  We now use it for DD2.  I love that she is right at the table with us at dinner and can play and eat with us.  I have several friends who have the Chicco high chair and love it.
  • We have the Chicco Polly and have been fine with it, but I think the Fisher Price one would also be a good choice. I originally chose the Chicco over the Fisher Price because it folded easier at the store and because the tray insert was dishwasher safe. Well, we have folded the chair exactly once -- when we moved -- and the insert doesn't fit in our dishwasher :) (I had read about the issue with the insert in reviews, but I think I was in denial or something.) I also don't think our chair folds as easily as the one I tried in Babies R Us. Hand washing the insert was fine, but having to do it took away a supposed benefit of the chair. If you were to get the Chicco seat, get one with a vinyl seat, rather than a fabric seat, because you can just wipe it down.

We also have the Fisher Price booster. (We have three of them, actually -- one at home and one at each grandparent's house. It's cheap enough that we thought it was easier to buy three than haul it around.) We started using it at the grandparents' houses at about a year and started using it instead of the high chair at home when we moved when DS was about twenty months. He now sits in the booster at the table.

• We have an expensive Peg Perrego chair nthat was a hand-me-down, and a Fisher Price Ocean Wonders chair (https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Chair--Wonders/dp/B0058LY2DC/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1309453249&sr=1-3 I have no idea why the chair at this link is so $$...we paid at most half that). We hate the PP chair, and are thinking of ditching it to get another FP chair. It's great. Easy to clean, easy to use, etc.

MIL has the FP booster seats that others posted, and they work great. The only problem is that your chair ends up with the food stuck in all the nooks and crannies. We didn't want to deal with that on our dining room chairs. They are great for grandparents though since they aren't used as regularly.

• imageHeather6907:

We have the Fisher Price Rainforest high chair and we love it.  It is similar to the second one linked above, but I have no idea how to embed links.  Anyway, the reasons we love it:

-very easy to clean the chair--wipes down with a wet cloth

-removable tray insert!  love this because the tray itself is big but with the insert you can just carry that piece over to be washed

-toys that attach to the high chair--both my kids loved the toys that came with it--good for keeping the baby with us at the table or for entertaining baby while we are finishing getting ready

This is the only one we've ever had.  It's funny to think back to how we had to prop up T in the beginning just to use it, since she's been using it to sit at the table for so long now.  The only thing that makes it not perfect is that it doesn't recline, so you have to work a little harder with little babies.  But that was only an issue for a few months, and we'll probably use it long enough to make up for that and then some.

imageimageimage
  • imagezerf77:

we have https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-Chair-Scatterbug/dp/B002OOWAK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309451700&sr=8-1  (in another fabric pattern)

with our teeny tiny house i didn't have room for a full size chair that needed storage, and we liked that this one straps to one of our dining room chairs. it also converts to a booster seat down the road so no having to buy an additional piece of equipment.

That's basically what we have and we like it quite a bit. I especially like that it's pretty much the same height as our table, so we just pull him up between DH & I. We probably could have converted it to a regular booster by now, but C is still content (most of the time) to eat with his tray and that's easier to clean than our tablecloth. It also reclines, so we've pretty much had him it it while we at dinner since he was tiny.

• I have the Fisher Price zen highchair, which I thought was the same as the other FP highchairs but in more muted colors. Sadly, it's not exactly the same. It's perfectly functional, but a PITA to clean. So if you want a FP high chair, don't get that one!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Tripp Trapp lover here! We registered for it and my work got it for us-- so I didn't have to pay the hefty price, but I LOVE it! I am not into plastic, bright bold baby equipment and this fits seemlessly into our furniture.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto the Fisher Price space saver - we love that thing. Our house is very small and it just strapped right onto our regular chairs, the tray can go in the dishwasher, and it converts to the booster. 

FWIW, we fed DS in the Bumbo for a while with the clip on tray. We took that with us traveling and it was great - we used it until he was about 15 months! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagezerf77:

This is what we're getting for DS.  We still have DD's high chair but I hate taking up that much space in my eat-in kitchen area.  We started using the other FP Booster pp's use with DD when she was around 1 and didn't want to get in the high chair anymore because she wanted to sit at the table with us.  I wish we'd forgone the highchair altogether.

imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• imagezerf77:

we have https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-Chair-Scatterbug/dp/B002OOWAK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309451700&sr=8-1  (in another fabric pattern)

This is what we have (in another fabric pattern).  We love it - DD likes sitting in it, easy to clean, and takes up no space.  

• We have the Graco Blossom and I love it for the following reasons:

Cream colored so it goes with our decor.

Has 2 removable trays. I especially like the clear plastic one on top.

Height adjustable and at the highest setting it's table-height.

The back/seat is easy to clean. The back also reclines to 3 different levels.

Good for infants up to toddlers. You can use just the seat part to pull it up to the table.

Has wheels so moves around easily.

The only downside is that it is a full sized high chair so if you have a tight space, I may recommend something a bit smaller.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Another, here, with the fisher price space saver.  My only qualms are that the fabric pad/seat cover is pretty useless.  We don't even use it anymore because when he's eating and dropping food, it gathers under his bottom so we were constantly having to take the cover out.

And we have a Bosch dishwasher and the tray doesn't really fit in it.  Unless it was going to be the only thing we were going to wash - but I'm pretty sure we couldn't even squeeze it in there then.

I really really really want a Stokke Trip Trapp, also.  The thing that really attracts me to it is that kids have a platform to put their feet on.  Eventually, I hope we can get one.  We registered for one, but unfortunately, no one purchased it for us but someone did get the seat cushion for it...so now we have to get one, right?  ;)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I ordered the Fisher Price Space Saver last night. We'll see how it works! I'll keep stalking Craigslist for a Stokke, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"