Breastfeeding

Supply not responding to cluster feeds?

I've got a call into the LC but figured I'd give you ladies a "ring" while I was waiting for them to call back. I'm about at the end of my rope after DD has been seemingly having her 6 week growth spurt for the past two weeks. I don't know how long the more frequent feedings are supposed to last to build up my supply but two weeks seems too long - and feels too long for my tender nipples and sleep deprived mind. Plus it seems to be getting worse as she was still going a good 3 to 3.5 hours between feeds at night but last night went no longer than 2 hours. She's been feeding every 2 hours during the day for the past 2 weeks. The last 24 hours have been especially exhausting and overwhelming.

This afternoon I decided to give her a bottle of BM to know that she was getting a good amount (4 oz) and we're just a few minutes from 3 hours since the bottle. This makes me wonder if she's not getting enough from me. I make sure to let her stay on as long as she wants and offer both sides. She's maintaining the same number of wet and poopy diapers which the LC (who just called back...) said indicates that she is getting enough but I'm just so burnt out with the frequent feedings. It doesn't seem right to me that she's not yet back to going longer between. Two weeks of this is like forever in the life of an almost 7 week old!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
DD born 5/15/11
DS born 11/12/12

Re: Supply not responding to cluster feeds?

• I have the same issue. My almost 11 week old son eats pretty much every 2 hours during the day and generally every 2-3 hours at night. I am exhausted and there doesn't appear to be any end in sight. I was told by my LC that because I am small (I have a 34 B cup size and that is generous, I was a small A before my milk came in) I might never have a really good supply.

I know it is really hard and if you have pumped milk try to give your self a break. My LC also recommended Fenegruk (sp?) and Blessed Thistle to help my supple (it was worse after I got mastitis) as well as pumping after feedings. 

I hope it gets better for you soon!!! 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards