North Carolina Babies
Options

Need veggie ideas

DD is on somewhat of a veggie strike. Steamfresh peas used to be our old standby, but even those are hit or miss right now. I put veggies on her plate every night at dinner, but they end up being basically just a garnish. :-) Our normal ones are peas, corn, steamed carrots, green beans, grilled zucchini. She's turning up her nose at all of those lately. 

What veggies does your toddler like? Any special ways you prepare them? I know of some tricks to "hide" them, but I need some easy new ideas that don't involve a bunch of cooking or preparation. TIA!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: Need veggie ideas

• Options

Cucumbers?

That is just about all mine will eat. 

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Veggies have been a challenge on our end also.  We have the best luck if they're in a stew.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I cant think of any other veggies, but have you tried offering a sauce to dip them into?  DD likes her green beans dipped in honey mustard (lol).  She also likes ketchup, italian dressing, etc. & she dips everything in them.  i dont mind as long as shes eating the veggies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wonder if she would like veggies that are "french fries." The obvious idea is sweet potato fries (not doctored up with salt or oil), but I would think you could cut most veggies into a fry shape and bake them. I LOVE baked green beans. I toss those in a little olive oil, but that shouldn't be too bad for her.

Also, does she like raw veggies? I will eat almost any veggie raw, but am not a fan of some of them once they're cooked.

• Options
    Caylee will eat cucumbers out of my salad...you know with dressing and cheese on them.  I just share them with her while I'm eating a bowl. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options

Vegetables? What are those? :P

DS eats fried okra. LOL. That's about it. He gets tomato sauce a lot. Oh yea - he eats raw baby carrots. I try to buy the petite cut ones, they are easier for him to bite. He dips them in ranch

I *try* not to stress so much, I figure he'll eat veggies someday. An article I read about toddler eating said forcing them can create bad food habits. It noted, If your parents made you eat vegetable X, do you eat them now? My mom used to make me eat brussel sprouts and I won't even consider trying them now. Too many icky memories:)

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Options
    imagebecki777:

Vegetables? What are those? :P

DS eats fried okra. LOL. That's about it. He gets tomato sauce a lot. Oh yea - he eats raw baby carrots. I try to buy the petite cut ones, they are easier for him to bite. He dips them in ranch

I *try* not to stress so much, I figure he'll eat veggies someday. An article I read about toddler eating said forcing them can create bad food habits. It noted, If your parents made you eat vegetable X, do you eat them now? My mom used to make me eat brussel sprouts and I won't even consider trying them now. Too many icky memories:)

this to a T! He loves all fruit but veggies are a no go in my house.  (except carrots recently w/ ranch).  He also thinks it is cool to have corn on the cob but won't really eat much of it.  

• Options
    What about grilling squash and having her add some parmesan cheese to it? It's tasty and I bet she would love shaking it on there. Also, what about broccoli with cheese?
  • Options
    A slightly sneaky way is to make spaghetti squash. You scrape out the inside and it looks like spaghetti noodles! So, she's getting veggies and doesn't know it.
  • Options

Roast them! Keira is not a big veggie eater at all, but the ones she does eat are roasted in the oven.

I slice zucchini and yellow squash VERY VERY thin and toss them in a bowl of olive oil and then put on a baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic squash. YUM! 

I also do that with fresh broccoli. I cut off just the tops so there are no stems/stalk and make the "trees" small so they are easy to eat. I toss in olive old and sprinkle those too with garlic salt. I make sure they get a little crispy and are turning brown.

We do sweet potato fries as well--same prep with the olive oil but sprinkle with a little salt, cinnamon and brown sugar. 

She will also eat green beans that are steam prepped in the microwave bags--but she is more picky with those.

I roast all veggies at 425 for about 20 mins. The more brown and toasted they get the better! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Those are good ideas--thanks y'all!

I haven't tried ranch dressing with raw veggies, and I haven't tried roasting them. Try as I might, she doesn't like sweet potatoes in any form, or broccoli with or without cheese. I'll keep trying though!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    imageLalabee0425:

Roast them! Keira is not a big veggie eater at all, but the ones she does eat are roasted in the oven.

I slice zucchini and yellow squash VERY VERY thin and toss them in a bowl of olive oil and then put on a baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic squash. YUM! 

I also do that with fresh broccoli. I cut off just the tops so there are no stems/stalk and make the "trees" small so they are easy to eat. I toss in olive old and sprinkle those too with garlic salt. I make sure they get a little crispy and are turning brown.

We do sweet potato fries as well--same prep with the olive oil but sprinkle with a little salt, cinnamon and brown sugar. 

She will also eat green beans that are steam prepped in the microwave bags--but she is more picky with those.

I roast all veggies at 425 for about 20 mins. The more brown and toasted they get the better! 

These are great ideas!  We will be trying this too :)

My sweet boy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"