High-Risk Pregnancy

pissed at myself and the doc.

so yesterday my ob wanted to put me on glyburide.  i've been very against taking this, mostly bc w/ds i saw an endo for my gd, and they didn't feel comfortable w/it and put me on insulin.  which i'm totally fine with since it's very adjustable and glyburide is not. 

anyway, yesterday at my appt the doc said she wanted to put me on glyburide since my sugars haven't been that bad but bad enough to need some sort of medication.  i told her i wasn't comfortable with it and she still ends up writing me the script for it.

ultimately, it's my fault for not standing up for myself and my beliefs.  but i'm really pissed that she didn't take my concern seriously. 

and now today my first day of taking glyburide, 5mg 1x a day w/bfast.  2 hrs after bfast my sugar was 58!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

for starters, it should not be that low period since i ate cereal w/raisins!  thank god i didn't eat a low carb bfast otherwise i'd probably be in a friggin coma!!!  i chose cereal so i could see how well it was controlling my #s and thank god i did.  i normally have high # w/cereal (like 183)...  

this is just unacceptable!  i knew i felt funny but couldn't put my finger on exactly what was off.... well now i know!  so i've put a call in to my doc and said that i'm not going to take this medicine and to write me a script for insulin.  i saw my pulminologist today for asthma issues, but she also deals w/diabetics,  and even she was like why didn't they put you on insulin? 

so yeah... waiting on my doc to call me back about all this, but there's no way i'm taking this glyburide stuff again.   i know she had no way of knowing that it would affect me that much, but i just wish she hadn't brushed me off yesterday when i told her i was uncomfortable w/it.  and i really just wish i'd stood up for myself instead of being a wuss.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: pissed at myself and the doc.

• I've been on glyburide for 4 months.  I am on 2.5 mg with breakfast.  I havent noticed a problem with the medication unless I'm not eating when I should be.  If I dont eat consistently between meals I'll get lightheaded and shaky. 

Did you take both the insulin and the glyburide?  Or did they take you off the insulin?

Talk to the doc... maybe he can make the dosage lower or suggest taking it at a different time of the day.  

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • I would be really upset, as well. The doctor should be listening your concerns and addressing them - even if she prefers glyburide she should have explained why and had a discussion with you instead of brushing you off. Sorry it wasn't a great appointment :(

Good for you for calling and asking for insulin instead. I have never been on glyburide (none of my doctors are comfortable using it during pregnancy, and neither am I) but from what I've read 5mg is a lot for an initial dosage. It seems 2.5 mg is more standard, and adjust up as necessary, so I would be asking the doctor her reasoning on that, as well. GL - I hope you get it worked out soon!

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i took insulin w/ds since i had GD w/him, but this time i actually passed the 3hr and yet still have GD since my #s are still high even w/diet control. 

some of them are fine, but just barely, and then my fasting and dinner time #s are constantly high.  even if i ate the same thing for dinner that i had for lunch.  

i'm just not taking this glyburide anymore.  insulin is much more effective even if i have to take it 3x a day vs just once for glyburide.  i can't have my sugar drop like this.  it not only affects me,  but it affects the baby, and i'm taking care of my son... ALONE.  what if something happened?  what if i'd passed out?? there are just too many what if's and i can't risk that.  i still haven't been able to bring my sugar up very much over the past hour.  it's hovering around 77-80.. which is much better but still on the low side.

• imagesophabelle:

i'm just not taking this glyburide anymore.  insulin is much more effective even if i have to take it 3x a day vs just once for glyburide.  i can't have my sugar drop like this.  it not only affects me,  but it affects the baby, and i'm taking care of my son... ALONE.  what if something happened?  what if i'd passed out?? there are just too many what if's and i can't risk that.  i still haven't been able to bring my sugar up very much over the past hour.  it's hovering around 77-80.. which is much better but still on the low side.

I'm doing insulin 4x a day now. I was pissed about the extra needles at first, but you're right, it is so much more effective than once a day glyburide, or even once a day insulin. Just make sure they start you small and work up the units, but if you've done insulin before I'm betting you know that :)

What have you tried to bring your sugar up? You're above the "danger zone" of 60, but if you're still worried or feeling off, I would not hesitate to try something else to bring it a little higher so you can function normally. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • i just checked it bc i was feeling funny again and it's down to 65 again.  i just didn't have the house stocked for this kind of thing! lol  i don't drink juice, so the only thing i have to really bring it up is ice cream lol.   which i will gladly eat lol.   i'll be having a nice carb loaded lunch though, i can tell you that!!
  • Your OB probably doesn't know how to prescribe insulin and glyburide is "easier" for them.  Tell your OB to please refer you to someone who knows how to prescribe insulin (an endocrinologist or MFM).  Sorry that you are going through this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ^this is a good point. i bet you're right!  she's young, probably not much older than i am (or else she looks REALLY good for her age lol). 

i also see a mfm so i'll bring this up with them when i go next week, though i may call them sooner than that depending on what my doc has to say whenever they friggin call me back!  i called at 1030 and haven't heard anything yet.... (i'm getting annoyed here..) i'll give them another hour or so before i call back. i hate waiting around like this!

• imagememali26:
    imagesophabelle:

I'm doing insulin 4x a day now. I was pissed about the extra needles at first, but you're right, it is so much more effective than once a day glyburide, or even once a day insulin. Just make sure they start you small and work up the units, but if you've done insulin before I'm betting you know that :)

What have you tried to bring your sugar up? You're above the "danger zone" of 60, but if you're still worried or feeling off, I would not hesitate to try something else to bring it a little higher so you can function normally. 

I must agree. I wouldn't want to take glyburide. I'm perfectly fine with insulin. I do miss sometimes since I'm chasing a toddler.

As far as the low sugar, I would pick up some glucose tablets or drink some kind of soft drink. My dietitian actually told me to grab a cup of ginger ale vs. juice.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • updating to say i got my script for insulin.  yay!  too bad the pharmacy gave me the scary vial/syringe kind and not the pen one like i used last time.... but beggers can't be choosers!  i'll take that over glyburide any day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"