Special Needs
Options

Anyone get an ASD DX very young? (under 18 months?)

What were the signs that something was up? Who did you see first and how did you go about DX? 

Was it a medical or therapeutic DX? What kind of services does your child get?

As time went on did your child improve, stay the same or other? 

We think one of my twins may be on the spectrum. He's 17 months old. I'm just trying to feel better by getting more information.

Thank you. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone get an ASD DX very young? (under 18 months?)

• Options

Mine got a PDD-NOS diagnosis at 14 months, just one month ago. I knew in my heart something was not quite right by 9-10 months, though I couldn't really describe it even to myself. By 11-12 months, he was not consistently responding to name or pointing. His receptive and expressive language skills were very behind. What probably concerned me most was that he was very difficult to play with- he just wouldn't really interact with us at times, even though at times he was very engaged. We noticed some improvement after he got tubes (fluid in his ears had caused some hearing loss), but not as much as we would have expected. An EI eval said that he was definitely not on the spectrum, but I knew something more than just language deficits was going on. We finally got in to see a developmental pediatrician, who evaluated and gave the diagnosis. At this age, it's hard to say if it is truly ASD or not, but we need to treat the deficits, so we're happy to get the diagnosis. We're in the process of interviewing agencies that do ABA (Floortime is hard to find here).

It's been a really difficult process emotionally. Please feel free to PM me if you want more info or someone to chat with:)

• Options

DS was 19 months when the school district diagnosed him. Our daycare provider noted signs as early as 16 months. DS is our only child so we didn't really see the differences. DS provider from 3 months-16 months said that he would cry if other children approached him. His provider from 16-19 months was very perceptive and watched him closely; she was concerned with his language delay, his disinterest and avoidance of playing with other kids, his immaturity (basically not "getting" stuff like not understanding the concept behind a game the kids were playing), his not playing with toys properly, and mostly his general fussiness. I sortof dismissed most of these because she was sortof a type-A busy-body mom--  but I did agree to take him to her kid's doctor for a second opinion. That doctor found some possible issues (at 18 months) and referred us to early intervention. Early intervention (i.e. the school district) labeled him with autism spectrum disorder. At 2 years we took DS back to the same doctor who thought there were possible issues and he actually reversed his opinion saying that the school districts were being very cautious and trying to diagnosis anything that could possibly resemble ASD as such because of the hype. This made me pretty relieved- I still hadn't thought DS was that "different" (again, not having other kids to compare him to) and his speech was starting to take off. We remained in early intervention because the teachers were great. As DS became older his differences became much more pronounced. He started having very obvious difficulties in public (yelling at other kids telling them to go away, tantrums and meltdowns), obvious echoliac speech, some rigid behaviors, etc. We waiting until DS was 3 yo before taking him to a developmental pediatritian and going through the whole evaluation process, which came down with a diagnosis of PDD-NOS.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"