April 2011 Moms
Options

2 month shots - ?

How did your LO behave after his/her 2 month shots? DS's are this Friday. Our ped said to give him some infant Tylenol before his appt. We plan to but I was just curious about how other newborns had handled the shots. Thanks!
natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2 month shots - ?

• Options

Liam was a wreck for 2 days...be prepared just in case :(

I wish I would have taken the day off work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My LO got his this morning. It was heartbreaking listening to him cry. So far he has just been more sleepy than usual.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

They only cried for about a minute after the shot.

It was later in the day when Scarlett got inconsolable except for when I held her.  

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    She was fussy as hell the rest of that day, and a little out of sorts the next. Back to normal the day after that.
  • Options
    My LO received her shots on Monday.  She was a little sleepier and crankier and then usual.  She didn't get a fever.   There really wasn't much of a difference. 
  • Options
    KERJFKERJF member

DD was fine. She slept more but no problems besides that.

Our pedi said unless its necessary - dont give meds. He said there had been some talk about it reducing the effectiveness of the vaccines. That was his opinion based on what he has discussed with other pedi's, but wanted to throw that out there since I had never heard that. 

imageimage
  • Options

DS got his 2 month shots yesterday.  He acted normally all day yesterday, and except for a slight fever today, he's acting normally today, knock on wood.

Proud mom to Jeremy (10/24/08) and Gabriel (4/25/11)
  • Options
    DS fell asleep immediately after the shots and slept for 4 hours. When he woke up he screamed for 2 hours and then fell asleep. The next morning he was normal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKERJF:

Our pedi said unless its necessary - dont give meds. He said there had been some talk about it reducing the effectiveness of the vaccines. That was his opinion based on what he has discussed with other pedi's, but wanted to throw that out there since I had never heard that. 

Thank you! I googled this and will talk to DH about it tonight.
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our appointment was at noon. He got his shots, SCREAMED for a second, then I nursed him and he was fine.  He fell asleep and slept until 5 PM.  I fed him, then he slept until 10.  I fed him again, and he slept until 6 AM.  No joke.  MH and I didn't know whether to relax and enjoy or worry about him.  His little leg was definitely sore, so we gave him Tylenol for the following 24 hours.  He was still pretty sleepy throughout the day after. 
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    imageKERJF:

Our pedi said the same thing, but also said that studies have shown it doesn't reduce the effectiveness below the acceptable level, so to him, it was worth it to give them some pain relief now with the shots, since they are still getting enough coverage from the vaccines. Just another opinion from another pedi....

Our son got his shots yesterday. He cried during the shots, and I nursed him right away and it comforted him. But a couple hours later he was inconsolable for awhile and only wanted to sleep/cuddle/be held. He didn't sleep well last night and is a bit grumpy today, but he seems to be getting better. 

• Options
    vanfoxvanfox member

He was pretty upset right after, but I nursed him in the pediatrician's office and he calmed down. He fell asleep as we were checking out and stayed asleep until we got home, went down for a long nap, then got up and ate before falling back to sleep again immediately. He was a little fussier that evening, but basically was back to normal by bedtime.

We were told just to have Tylenol on hand in case he had a fever, since there's some evidence that the vaccines are less effective if the baby's immune system is being suppressed by the acetaminophen. He never got a fever, so I didn't wind up needing to give him any.

• Options
    My LO just got hers on Monday. She barely cried when she got them and quickly fell asleep after. We went home and everything was fine. It wasn't until hours later that she began crying hysterically. I checked her thigh and it looked a bit sore. I gave her a warm bath and she immediately stopped crying and fell asleep again. She was fine after that.
  • Options

Liz got hers on Monday - she was sleepy sleepy sleepy for the rest of the day.  Tuesday morning she woke up with a slight fever and I gave her Tylenol.  She was a little bit crankier yesterday and today (and still sleepier than usual) but for the most part she was really okay.

My pedi suggests only giving Tylenol if your LO runs a temperature.  They take a very conservative stance on meds, which is just fine with me because I'm very cautious about over using  medication myself.  Drew had no problems whatsoever with his two month shots and so I'm glad that I didn't give him anything.  

Don't get me wrong though...I will use meds when necessary.  As soon as I saw her temp go above 100 I went straight for the Tylenol!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS had his Monday afternoon. First he slept a couple of hours then he woke up super irritable! Everything seemed to tick him off. He would only calm down if he was being held tight. I literally slept that entire night with pillows propped behind my back holding him. Luckily he didn't get a fever or anything though.
  • Options
    How much Tylenol do you give prior to the appointment?  And when can you give it again afterwards??  
  • Options
    DS didn't cry when he got the shot but about 4 hours later he did (so did I)...pretty bad too.  But one dose of pedi-care did the trick and he was right back to himself. 
  • Options
    imagerachelhahn23:

Liam was a wreck for 2 days...be prepared just in case :(

I wish I would have taken the day off work.

I'm taking day off for the 4 month old shots because poor Violet was a mess afterwards. I highly recommend the infant tylenol an hour before....and don't be afraid to give another dose later. I think Violet was so fussy from her legs being sore - I nursed her a lot that evening.

• Options
    kje120kje120 member
    Andrew was just a little more fussy and really sleepy the rest of the afternoon.  I never gave him any tylenol or anything - he didn't need it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageDoug_Laura07:
    How much Tylenol do you give prior to the appointment?  And when can you give it again afterwards??  

Call your doc - I did a full dose because I have almost a 13 lb-er...my doc recommends going by weight rather than age. Your doc may be different so it's best to ask them.

Her appt was at 3pm - I gave it to her at 2pm - she got a half a dose at almost 7pm (I tried to wait it out but she just looked so uncomfortable...and I hated to make her suffer like that.) I rarely use Mylicon or Gripe water since V doesn't need it 99% of the time so I was a little nervous about the Tylenol dosage but I think it did help. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"