D.C. Area Babies

moms who pump at work

What do you do when you have a meeting outside the office during pumping times?

I am supposed to attend an event next week from 7:30 am-10:30 am. I usually nurse on one side at about 6 am and then pump both sides at 8:30, 11:30 and 2:30 or 9, 12 and 3 depending on what time I get to work.

The event will take me longer to get to than my office usually does, so I will need to leave home by 6:30. I am usually pretty engorged in the morning and it is when I pump the most bm for the day (my morning session is usually more than the other two sessions combined).

I suppose I could pump both sides before I leave home, and then either pump right after the event in my car or a bathroom, or leave a little early to do that. What did you do in these situations?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: moms who pump at work

• thats what I would suggest you do.  I went back to work as a teacher and my pumping schedule had to go out the window, because I could only pump when there were no kids in teh room...it was a major pain.  I think you have a good plan.  

good luck!!! 

• I emailed the event location (a hotel) to see if they have a private area or lactation room I can use. I figure places won't start providing these things until they know there are nursing moms who need them!
  • Loading the player...
  • Pump the other side before you leave and then either find a place to pump at your event or wait and pump in the car afterwards.  One day of missing a scheduled pump shouldn't hurt.  This kind of thing happens to me all the time, but with clients.  I have asked my client (usually a woman) if there is a room or office I can use.  They are always accomodating. 
  • i'm super anal about keeping to my pumping schedule. partly b/c i have supply issues after AF returns (which happened super early with baby #2) and leading up to AF each month. keeping the schedule is the only thing that allows me to have enough milk for the baby the next day and i don't have a stash.

that said, i'd certainly leave the event to pump in a private area or in my car. i've done this at hotels...usually, they just give you a room key to a room that is not being used. i was even able to leave my pump and freezer bag in the room and had access to it all day.

G/L!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd nurse at 6 pm and pump the other side, and then pump again after the event is over. I've had to change around my pumping schedule a few times due to meetings and it's never done any long-term damage.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageLindseyJW:

i'm super anal about keeping to my pumping schedule. partly b/c i have supply issues after AF returns (which happened super early with baby #2) and leading up to AF each month. keeping the schedule is the only thing that allows me to have enough milk for the baby the next day and i don't have a stash.

that said, i'd certainly leave the event to pump in a private area or in my car. i've done this at hotels...usually, they just give you a room key to a room that is not being used. i was even able to leave my pump and freezer bag in the room and had access to it all day.

G/L!

I've been able to do this at hotels that I've had meetings at as well

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • My experience that people are very accommodating in giving you a space to pump.  At my agency we have had OOT guest request a space in our building during all day meetings.  And in my work/meeting/travel experience, I never once had someone tell me that they couldn't provide a space.  It's likely that you're not the first person to ask them, and won't be the last.  I'd either contact the hotel directly, or, probably easier, contact the organizer of the meeting - let them set it up for you.  I don't think it'll be a problem at all.
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • imagemssaint:
    I emailed the event location (a hotel) to see if they have a private area or lactation room I can use. I figure places won't start providing these things until they know there are nursing moms who need them!

Good for you!

We love you baby - m/c - 09/10/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"