3rd Trimester
Options

Unrequested membrane sweeping

My 19 year old cousin is due the same day as I am so we keep in contact to find out how each are progressing. I'm a little unnerved because at her appointment today, 37 weeks, her doctor stripped her membranes without asking her, she just did it. She is already 1-2 cm dialated but I'm not sure why she did this so early, I'm actually a little annoyed because I know that it can start the process of labor. Okay, rant over. Can't wait for my own appointment tomorrow and I get to schedule my c-section. 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Unrequested membrane sweeping

• Options

This seems to be quite unfortunately common :(  

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • Options
    imageNurseMom1:

This seems to be quite unfortunately common :(  

This. I have heard of it happening a lot... Some people have wondered why their normal check hurt so bad and later found out the dr. stripped their membrane..

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My midwife did it to me today (39 week apt).  She just kinda did it "while she was in there."  I don't know if she thought I knew what it was ahead of time, but I just looked it up now.  I've heard people refer to it on here, but I had no idea what it was or that it was intended to help labor along.  I don't know how I feel about her just doing it.  I think I would have liked being informed first.  It was very painful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My WM does not do early checks unless you are high risk or it is absolutely necessary. I did make it clear in the beginning that I did not want anything done without my informed consent.

When I do have to be "checked" in the hospital, I will make it clear that they have permission to check me, but not strip my membranes.

I do not appreciate when Drs. perform procedures without my permission and just tell me about them after the fact.  You have to really fight for your rights and be very vocal. It may make me look like a controlling you-know-what but I don't care.  My health and what I want is more important. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • Options
    Woah! I wouldn't be happy if my Dr stripped my membrane without asking me first. Especially if I was only 37 weeks.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"