Blended Families

Settle this debate re: child support

On the child custody paperwork, it states we stop paying when the child turns 18 and graduates high school (whichever is later).  Ex convinced hubby that hubby would have to go back to court to stop paying on the child, that the custody paperwork is not orders to stop.  Could that possibly be true??   I heavily assumed that since the custody paperwork, signed by the judge and both parents, and states when it's cut off, would be sufficient for us to just stop at that time.  Please tell me I'm right.

Re: Settle this debate re: child support

• In Texas it stops this way automatically.  I don't know about other states.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would agree. If the paperwork states it, then it should be so.  Talk to a lawyer. Something like this could be answered quickly and easily and probably at no charge.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm fairly certain she just wants us to start the process back in court so she can raise the child support for the other child so that her payments will remain the same, even though it's one child versus two. 

I set auto pay to pay her and I am going to end it the end of the month the child turns 18 (he graduated).  She can go back to court on her own to request higher support for the second child.

• If you pay her directly, and it isn't garnished from his wages just stop paying her. She can go back to court if she wants. But the paperwork says he has fulfilled his obligation. I wouldn't think twice. FWIW, my moms CO stated the same thing. My dads was always garnished though. Sure enough the month I graduated was the last month money was sent.
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • In PA you have to file a form saying that the CS ends b/c the child aged out.  It's just, you don't even have to be in court b/c it's just a formality to have the judge sign it during rule court.  But the PAYOR has to file.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • there are some states in which you need to file paperwork (suggested to do it a few months in advance).  i dont truthfully know the answer other than what i've been told on the situation, but look it up according to your state, it will tell you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You need to check with your State to see what their rules are in regards to NOTIFYING the COURT SYSTEM.  But no, you do not have to go before a Judge to get his approval to stop doing something that was already ruled on by another/same Judge years earlier.

That kinda carp would just bog up the damn system. 

Now, if your DH's CS were garnished, then I would be EXTRA careful about it, only because bureaucracies never work properly. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"