Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

what to expect at follow up appnt after D&C

I was just wondering what I should expect at the follow up appointment after my D&C. I assume they will go over the test results that were sent away.  Should my husband be there?  Anything else I should be prepared for?  Not looking forward to going back to that office. :(
Chemical Pregnancy 2001, Married 8/8/09, TTC April 2011, BFP 5/8/11, Missed M/C @ 9wk5d, D&C 6/21/11 BFP 11/13/11 Chase Everett born at 29wks 0 days on 5/7/12 at 2 lbs 14 oz, 14 1/2 inches long.

Re: what to expect at follow up appnt after D&C

• It was hard to be in the office. I had been feeling ok, but being there brought up a lot of emotion for me. 

The dr. went over my blood work, talked about how we were feeling (DH did come, but in the end didn't really need to be there), and let us know when we could TTC again. I did not have an exam for further testing of any kind. In hindsight I really don't understand why they didn't do an ultrasound, seeing as I ended up needing a second D&C two weeks later, but I think statistically that is so rare that they just don't do them at my OBs office. 

Best wishes as always.  

Married my best friend 6/28/08
    DD born 4/3/10 BFP 4/9/11 missed mc @10w4d- forever loved
    BFP 8/21/11 EDD 4/29/12
    imageimageimage Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DH didn't come and I was totally fine with that.

My OB went over the surgery itself, said there was no infection (yay!) and then did an internal exam to see if my cervix was closed and felt where my uterus was, too. We talked about how many cycles before we can TTC again, what types of supplements to take until then, and how long before I could expect my first period.

I definitely had my 'list' of questions written down for this appt because I really felt like it was my last shot at getting closure for so much of this crap. I didn't actually read off of the list because my OB did answer all I wanted to know.

Good luck. And yes, the office itself is a tough place to be. I just kept telling myself that NEXT time I'm there, it will be for a brand new pregnancy confirmation. Positive thoughts, right? :)

Another blogger! My Life in Transition.

Married 05.27.07
    BFP#1 - 07.07.09 | EDD 03.14.10 | Truman Anthony born @38w 03.01.10
    BFP#2 - 03.24.11 | EDD 11.29.11 | missed MC found @9w 04.26.11 | D&C @16w 06.13.11
    BFP#3 - 09.17.11 | EDD 05.29.12 | It's a girl!!!
    My BFP Chart
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    **my labor buddy is Sweepie412**

• Loading the player...
  • My doctor examined me and took me into his office where he basically told me he would call once the pathology results came in and we would take it from there.  He took some time to answer my questions and reassure me that the m/c was not my fault.  Since it was my 3rd consecutive loss we discussed my seeing a reproductive endocrinologist in the future.  My DH didn't come with me.  I figured it would be a quick visit so I didn't see the need for him to be there.
  • imagecmac1029:
    My doctor examined me and took me into his office where he basically told me he would call once the pathology results came in and we would take it from there.  He took some time to answer my questions and reassure me that the m/c was not my fault.  Since it was my 3rd consecutive loss we discussed my seeing a reproductive endocrinologist in the future.  My DH didn't come with me.  I figured it would be a quick visit so I didn't see the need for him to be there.

These two things. My husband did come, but it was because he wanted to, and I liked having him there to hear everything I was hearing. Keeps us on the same page to hear the same info/answers at the same time. I also appreciated the opportunity to hear him talk about our loss in an environment that was different from me asking him how he is doing. 

TTC #1 since January 2011
    BFP#1 April 12, 2011, EDD December 24, 2011, strong heart beat at 7w3d, d&c at 10w6d
    BFP#2 Oct 24, 2011, natural miscarriage, EDD unknown
    After RPL testing my losses and subsequent infertility are considered unexplained.
    Cycle #22: Femara, TI, and progesterone = BFP!! 
    BFP#3 Dec 21, 2012. Beta #1 @14dpo = 134, progesterone 67.8. Beta #2 @ 17dpo = 664! Team green, EDD 9/1/13, healthy baby boy born 9/12/13!
    imageimage  My chart.

Congratulations to the fabulous KGS2003! Her sweet boys are here! Grow boys grow!!!
  • Hey Krista,

When is your follow up appointment, mine is supposed to be tomorrow, but I really want to reschedule it the absolute LAST thing I feel like doing. BTW thanks for posting this, I was super curious myself.

Big ((HUGS))

Heather

BFP#1 1/04/2008 Liam Joseph born 09/26/08 @ 37 weeks BFP#2 5/8/2011 MC Found 06/20/2011, D&C 06/21/2011 @ 10 Weeks "Sometimes love lasts a moment. Sometimes love lasts a lifetime. Sometimes a moment is a lifetime."
  • My dr. did an internal exam and drew my betas, since AF hadn't dropped in yet.  The patho report was ready on LO, so we went over that.  He also gave me a sheet with a listing of support groups available around the area and a little pamphlet written for DH.  Everyone was really nice about the situation.  Even tho it was under sad circumstances, it was one of my more pleasant visits to the OBGYN.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageHeatherN83:

Hey Krista,

When is your follow up appointment, mine is supposed to be tomorrow, but I really want to reschedule it the absolute LAST thing I feel like doing. BTW thanks for posting this, I was super curious myself.

Big ((HUGS))

Heather

Hi Heather! Did you get my response to your message you sent me?  I finally figured out how to respond. LOL.  Anyway, my appointment is not until Tuesday the 5th...if you go to yours tomorrow, let me know how it goes and what to expect. I know, totally NOT what I want to do (relive it again) or where I want to go (that office)...but, I do want to get more answers, so that will be good. Thinking my husband doesn't need to be there unless he really wants to be. Hope you are doing well and healing nicely. big hugs right back to you.  -krista

Chemical Pregnancy 2001, Married 8/8/09, TTC April 2011, BFP 5/8/11, Missed M/C @ 9wk5d, D&C 6/21/11 BFP 11/13/11 Chase Everett born at 29wks 0 days on 5/7/12 at 2 lbs 14 oz, 14 1/2 inches long.
  • Thanks everyone for responding. Sounds like there is a good possibility for an internal exam...I think I will give DH the option to go if he wants, but it sounds like I should be fine to go it alone. I appreciate all your feedback. I am one of those people that likes to go into something knowing what to expect.  This whole experience has been a huge blow to that personality trait. Blech.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"