TTC after 35

herbal supplements?

We are thinking about having a second baby. The first one was easy, but this time is proving to be more difficult, mostly because I still don't have a regular cycle after weaning a few months ago. I might try herbal supplements before getting 'more serious'. 

I looked online and found dong quai (sp?), vitex, and mara. Has anyone tried these? Have you heard good or bad things about them?

Any input would be appreciated! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: herbal supplements?

• The ones people talk about most on this board are DHEA (a hormone supplement that is supposed to help with egg quality, but something you should probably talk to a doctor about rather than taking on your own), CoQ10 (I don't know much about this one since I haven't taken it), royal jelly/bee pollen, and wheatgrass.  I've taken DHEA and royal jelly; they may have helped with my egg quantity for the IVF cycle we just did, but we're not so sure about egg quality....

What you might want to do is see an acupuncturist who specializes in fertility.  He/she could probably help regulate your cycle and also recommend herbs.  I'd rather go down that route than randomly pop stuff, personally.

me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • I think you actually mean Maca (not mara). This website has a lot of good information.

https://natural-fertility-info.com/

• Loading the player...
  • I am taking DHEA, and CQ10.  I heard alot of great things about MACA.  I had purchased some but cannot take it cause I gag with the smell of the pills.  It's pretty bad smelling.  Also Royal Jelly with Bee Pollen is very good too, I also cannot take it cause of the taste of it.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"