North Carolina Babies
Options

Potty training out of necessity?

Changing diapers has been a struggle for a few months now, but we are at the point where it takes both of us to change him - one to hold him down and one to change the diaper.  I am home all day with O and I just can't do it anymore by myself.  He is so grabby, and this morning poop ended up on pj's, his hands, the wall.... it's a nightmare every time and I feel like my patience is just gone.  

So, I want to start hardcore potty training with him.  He will wake up dry from naps, tell me when he needs to pee only when he's in the tub, but will gladly sit on the potty and go.  Has anyone had to potty train before the child is 100% ready?  Am I nuts for even bothering, or do you think there is still a good chance of him learning now?  I might just lose my mind if this doesn't work :-p 

Re: Potty training out of necessity?

• Options
    He sounds ready to me.  Why do you think he's not ready?  With him struggling with diaper changes, waking up dry from naps, telling you when he pees and wanting to sit on the potty and go, I would give potty training a try.  Those all sound like good signs to me.  Good luck!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Is there a reason you think he's not ready? He sounds like he might be to me. Although, I didn't really wait for any of the "signs of readiness." I decided I wanted to try at a point when I knew DD could comprehend our instructions, and could communicate with us. We started a week after she turned 2, and she was day trained (including naps) in 3-4 days.

Up until then, she was still waking up (very) wet in the mornings, never told us that she had to go (although would demand privacy when she had to poop..hehe), and didn't have a ton of interest in the potty. I don't think you have to have all those things to be ready. I say it's worth a shot. If the time isn't right for him, I think you'll know. I don't think there's a magical age--every child is different.

Given the difficulty you're having with diaper changes, I'd definitely suggest going straight to underwear (which I would recommend anyway, personally).

GL!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know why I feel like he's not ready.  Our ped told us boys train a lot later and take a lot longer, and I also think a big part of it is the speech issue, that he can't really communicate that well when he needs to go, other than say uh-oh and grab himself, which he only does sometimes.  He will still pee out of his diaper overnight and just kind of still felt too young to me.  He LOVES underwear and always wants to wear it, he will put it on over his diaper, haha.  I guess we will give it a try starting tomorrow, we need to get more undies since we only have 4 pairs... which should last about 10 minutes :)  
  • Options

imageskirk429:
    I don't know why I feel like he's not ready.  Our ped told us boys train a lot later and take a lot longer, and I also think a big part of it is the speech issue, that he can't really communicate that well when he needs to go, other than say uh-oh and grab himself, which he only does sometimes.  He will still pee out of his diaper overnight and just kind of still felt too young to me.  He LOVES underwear and always wants to wear it, he will put it on over his diaper, haha.  I guess we will give it a try starting tomorrow, we need to get more undies since we only have 4 pairs... which should last about 10 minutes :)  

Hehe.. yeah, I'd have a least 20 on hand. hehe.. :-)

I personally don't think verbal communication is really necessary as much as just some way to communicate the need to go. Even if he isn't super verbal, if he is able to comprehend what you're saying, and can get his point across to you, I'd say he could be trained.

I mean, sure, who knows-- he could very well not quite be ready, but I wouldn't hold off JUST because people say boys take longer to train, etc. My mother wasn't shy about telling me Holly was too young when we started PTing, but I really felt like she could get it. And, I was right, she was wrong. :-)

You know him best, and if you think he could get it, I'd say it's worth a shot. Just my opinion! :-)

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    imageMrsHughesNC:

imageskirk429:

Hehe.. yeah, I'd have a least 20 on hand. hehe.. :-)

I personally don't think verbal communication is really necessary as much as just some way to communicate the need to go. Even if he isn't super verbal, if he is able to comprehend what you're saying, and can get his point across to you, I'd say he could be trained.

I mean, sure, who knows-- he could very well not quite be ready, but I wouldn't hold off JUST because people say boys take longer to train, etc. My mother wasn't shy about telling me Holly was too young when we started PTing, but I really felt like she could get it. And, I was right, she was wrong. :-)

You know him best, and if you think he could get it, I'd say it's worth a shot. Just my opinion! :-)

Could you make up some sort of sign language that would be his signal to you that he needs to go? I have a neice that was very delayed in her speech and they used sign language to help her communicate until she caught up. It doesn't even have to be the correct sign language, just something that you guys know what it means and he realizes when he does that you know what he's saying. Just a thought! GL!

• Options
    I haven't been down this road, but I do agree with PP. My niece is 15 months, and she is potty trained! She can't talk yet either. They watch her cues and when she holds her back they'll ask her if she needs to potty and she walks to the bathroom! GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"