Food Allergy
Options

anyones LO eat cooked/baked allergian with no reaction?

if that makes sense... im not advocating doing it, but our allergist has told me several times that DD is allergic to eggs but not enough to be ana- and if she had them in baked goods that she would "be fine", just an egg/omlete we would need to avoid still. this doesnt seem very logical or safe and im way to scared to do it. but then i think about people who can eat veggies but a raw carrot or something may close up their throat..? ive also heard that peanut oil is "safe" for people with peanut allergies because the protiens are cooked out. im soooo not a naive person when it comes to my DDs allergies so please do not think im taking this lightly, just really curious if anyone has had sucess doing this or heard of it before. im not looking for someone to advise me to do it, just curious if youve heard of this or if your LO can eat his/her allergians if they are baked.

dd is allergic to dairy, eggs, and peanuts.. and peaches

Re: anyones LO eat cooked/baked allergian with no reaction?

• Options

I have heard of people doing it.. My allergist suggest complete avoidance though.  DD is allergic to eggs, peanuts, and dairy.  If she were to get straight dairy she would have diaherra within the hour and if she continued to get any of the things she allergic to daily she would end up with head to toe eczema. 

Even though dd's allergies are a class I allergy- you can not assume their next reaction to that allergen will not be worse.. especially with peanut allergies. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes and I only know because of how the food trial went down.  Asher is able to have eggs baked into things, but not cooked on the stove top...like scrambled eggs that sort of thing.  At a high enough temp, the proteins are broken down and for some people the proteins become small enough that they can have them with no reaction. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS2 is allergic to nuts (I include all due to how messed up his peanut testing went) and eggs (whites and yolks). I won't give him straight up egg but he is fine eating eggs baked into things.
  • Options
    We hope to be at the point someday where we can give DS eggs and dairy cooked in things.  The proteins in them do "cook off" to a degree.  Initially they told us we could give him, say a cookie from a batch made with 1-2 eggs and cooked at 350 or whatever or in processed foods if they were lesser ingredients (at the end of the list).  HOWEVER, peanut and tree nut proteins do not "cook off".  From what I understand, they are unaltered by heat or anything else. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options

my allergist told me the same thing about giving my son milk/soy in a baked good (he's mildly allergic) but recently he had an accidental exposure and broke out like crazy so personally i'm not ready until the numbers show a negative.  And even then -not sure how i will ever give my son soy or milk or eggs or nuts if he ever outgrows it.. i would fear that it would come back at any time..

I hope he becomes a vegan who hates nuts and soy so i never have to worrry

• Options
    imagemagdusia:

my allergist told me the same thing about giving my son milk/soy in a baked good (he's mildly allergic) but recently he had an accidental exposure and broke out like crazy so personally i'm not ready until the numbers show a negative.  And even then -not sure how i will ever give my son soy or milk or eggs or nuts if he ever outgrows it.. i would fear that it would come back at any time..

I hope he becomes a vegan who hates nuts and soy so i never have to worrry

Hubbs and I say this to each other all the time.  

Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options
    My allergist said the best bet for a young child to outgrow a food allergy was to completely and totally avoid the allergen and give their little immune systems to mature without the irritant. For what it's worth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"