Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

You don't chlorinate a kiddie pool, right?

Reassure me that I'm not the crazy one here...

My dad bought DS a kiddie pool to keep at his house (he has a yard and we won't until we move).  It's going to be in the upper 90's here this weekend so my dad said he was going to fill up the pool (one of those little plastic dealies from the Dollar Store) tonight so it'll be ready to go when we come over this Sunday.  I said we shouldn't fill it until the day-of, otherwise it would get icky and he'd get mosquitoes.  My dad's solution was to put in chlorine.  I said I wasn't comfortable with that and was called a biitch because what do I think is in every pool I've ever been in?  I'm scared of DS getting chemical burns but my dad is adamant that this is how it's done.  Dad has a tendency to disregard what I want with DS (I've tried the my kid, my rules thing and he ignores me and calls me a biitch) so I'd like some back-up on this one.

Am I the crazy one?  Do you chlorinate kiddie pools?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: You don't chlorinate a kiddie pool, right?

• Your dad is out of his mind.   NO, you don't chlorinate a plastic kiddie pool.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You're right! Kiddie pools aren't meant to be left filled for days like that. And definitely not chlorinated.

To put it in perspective... we have a 12,000 gallon pool. At any given time we have 2-3 chlorine tablets for it, which take weeks to dissolve. How would you know an appropriate amount of chlorine to put in? Also, even a chlorinated pool gets dirty. What keeps it clean is a pool cleaner, jets for circulation, chlorine, pool shock, and someone maintaining it. So even if you put chlorine in the kiddie pool, it would still get dirt, etc. inside.

As a side note, what kind of father calls his daughter that? I wouldn't take any advice from him. Sorry you're going through this.

• Loading the player...
  • Hell NO! and your dad is an a$$ for calling you a biitch!

It's a kiddie pool, it only holds a small amount of water, it should be emptied after use and refilled each time!

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You're only crazy for continuing to hang out with your father.  Calling you a biitch = absolutely inappropriate and imo, verbal abuse.

No.  You don't chlorinate the pool. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageg8trkim:

You're right! Kiddie pools aren't meant to be left filled for days like that. And definitely not chlorinated.

As a side note, what kind of father calls his daughter that? I wouldn't take any advice from him. Sorry you're going through this.

This.. completely. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Why does he want to fill it up so early?  It only takes a few hours to warm up.  Tell him to just fill it that morning and put it in the sun.  I've never heard of chlorinating kiddie pools, but I've wondered the same thing since it seems wasteful to dump it after every use. 
  • MrsSRMrsSR member

Ummm...no

• Ditto what everyone else said & I would never leave a kiddie pool filled overnight and/or unattended unless it was in a really secure location where there is no change of any small children or animals coming over & falling in or making it disgusting, personally.
  • No...never.  That's ridiculous.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• I agree, no chlorine in plastic dollar store pools.
  • Thanks for the feedback- I thought it was weird, too.

And dad's just... odd.  He was raised in a really abusive home and is an alcoholic so calling me a biitch is par for the course.   Needless to say, my parenting style differs greatly from my dad's.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think it's just horrible that he would call you that name.  So disrespectful.  No chlorine does not belong in a little baby pool  I wouldn't be comfortable with it either.  Even in large pools, there is very little chemicals and they're measured to make sure it has the right balance.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    MC #1- Jamie George 6/7/08, MC #2- Christian Aaron 1/15/09

BFP! 3/25/09 BETA 1 (4/7/09) -# 9659 BETA 2 (4/10/09) - # 19171 Born 12/6/09 - Our precious girl.

MC #3- Ashley Grace 2/15/11, MC #4- Amelia Noel 12/30/11
    MC #5- Antonio 9/8/12

BFP! 10/6/12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Had to chime in on leaving kiddie pools filled while not attended.  A friend's 18 month old son drown in the kiddie pool in her back yard.  Only takes a couple inches of water and a minute to ruin your life for ever.  Kids don't mind cold hose water....

The daycare lady I used to work for put a little bleach in the kiddie pools when we had them out for the kids... I too would think A. not necessary and B.  How would you know how much??? Bleach/Chlorine is nasty stuff!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"