High-Risk Pregnancy

anyone else feel guilty when...

there blood sugar levels are kinda high? I have been pretty good about watching what I eat and the portions, but every now and then a have a high number and feel really bummed because I'm trying really hard to keep them in control and keep my baby from gaining too much weight!! Every time my numbers are high, that's all I can think about. This is my first and I am really hoping for a vag birth. Anyone else stress themselves over it?

Re: anyone else feel guilty when...

• Always. Today especially I'm stressing over it. I'm already on insulin 4x a day, I eat exactly what I'm supposed to (minus the very rare treat), I walk, I drown myself in water... and my numbers are still out of range at least 50% of the time. I see my dietitian tomorrow and I know he'll spend a few minutes trying to figure out what I'm supposedly doing wrong before just admitting I need more insulin than they thought and it drives me crazy. (Sorry to vent in your post... I'm having an "I'm done" kind of day :S)

Remember though - one high number here and there isn't hurting anything. As long as it's not a pattern you probably don't need to worry. Just keep doing your best and know you are doing exactly what you need to do for your baby.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, I keep telling myself that but I still get caught up in it. Thanks for the reassurance. And don't feel bad, I know how it is when you have those days. I've been having them often. I'm getting to the point where I'm just ready for her to come already!!
  • Loading the player...
  • actresactres member
    I actually met with my doctor today for my usual appointment and I had a high number the other day. She was not worried about it all. She said as long as you know what may have caused it you can look out for that food next time! I always write down what I ate if my number is high. Luckily I have not had that problem too much but the first time I did I bashed myself a little. The doctor said it is no big deal though because the majority of the time the numbers are good.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've always wondered why doctor's want you to be under 120 after meals if it's normal for someone to be under 140 (according to some sources)?

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemandyhall2882:

I've always wondered why doctor's want you to be under 120 after meals if it's normal for someone to be under 140 (according to some sources)?

Some doctors use stricter guidelines because they feel that they get better outcomes (healthy babies, vaginal deliveries, etc).  My DH is an endocrinologist and uses strict guidelines for these reasons.

OP- mommy guilt can be a powerful thing, lady!  Even before they get here!  An occasional high number isn't the problem, it is when your averages are high that there is a problem.  I think we all worry about higher than usual or high numbers.  All we can do is eat what we're told, exercise, and stay hydrated.  Some of us will end up needing meds and some won't. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagerainlily:
    imagemandyhall2882:

I've always wondered why doctor's want you to be under 120 after meals if it's normal for someone to be under 140 (according to some sources)?

Some doctors use stricter guidelines because they feel that they get better outcomes (healthy babies, vaginal deliveries, etc).  My DH is an endocrinologist and uses strict guidelines for these reasons.

Yep, this. I had to be under 140 with my first pregnancy, but with this one they want me under 120. According to my endo, there's some recent research that suggests that tighter control (i.e. under 120 at one hour) could decrease the instances of GD related complications. It's harder to achieve the tighter control, but better for mom and baby.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've only had a couple of high readings but the first time I was in tears.  I've since relaxed a bit.  I know a high reading here or there isn't going to hurt the baby.  Whenever I get a bit of a borderline elevated reading I take a walk & it helps to clear my mind & it really does help keep my numbers where they should be.  I know I'm doing all I can do and the rest is out of my hands.

Photobucket Sydney Elise 5/9/09 Kate Reese 8/2/11
  • I hear you... I feel guilty.  So, I just try to remember that I ma making good choices and following the diet plan.  I have really tried to stop stressing about a high number here or there because the stress isn't good for my baby, me, or my numbers.  My Dr. checks my numbers and reviews my diet... I'm letting him be the doctor and just trying to be a good patient.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I cry every time I get a high number.  I can't help it...

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"