3rd Trimester

How does the doctor diagnose low fluids..

Someone below mentioned their fluids were low so they might be induced and I have also heard of people saying their placenta was getting old, or breaking apart or something so I was wondering how a doctor diagnoses this? Is it from an ultrasound? How is it suspected? Just wondering because I never had any late ultrasounds with my first dc and only did with my second dc because they were afraid she was getting too big..is this more commonly worried about if you go a lot over your due date? Thanks so much for any insight you can offer!

Former nest name=nettie Mom to Nick 09/13/05, Isabel 07/20/07, and Tori 09/08/11 image

Re: How does the doctor diagnose low fluids..

• Those things are found during u/s. Moms who have GD or other complications, are measuring far ahead or far behind, experience significantly decreased movement, "fail" an NST, etc., often get extra u/s to monitor growth, fluid and placental function. GD can, in rare cases, cause the placenta to deteriorate sooner, and so can being over due.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Monitored via Biophysical profiles (BPPs) and NSTs. The BPP gives you a score out of 10 and based on that they follow up.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was measuring small and so I had and U/S that showed that my fluid was low and my placenta was aging faster than it should. Apparently they can see the calcium deposits on the placenta. I was told I would have to be induced early and this was at my 35w. appt. I had another U/S this week at 38 weeks and "Miracle" - my fluid levels were up (higher than normal) and I'm starting to dialate. My doctor is just going to keep a close eye on me in the next two weeks and talk about an induction if I go past my due date.

Also, I started drowning myself in water when I found out I was really low on amniotic fluid. I also made sure to always sleep on my left side (hard to do), but it paid off. I guess it's true that you can replenish you fluid by drinking lots of water.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"