Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Chickens! Help me plan!

So I have the green light from DH to get some chickens!  Our town is okay with chickens in the back yard so we are thinking of getting 2 or 3.  We need to keep them separate from our lab and our pointer.  Winter has some ice storms, summer is hot (regularly in the 90s with humidity).  I think this all points to having a movable chicken tractor, possibly needing to wire it with a heat lamp for the winter.

So, does anyone have some good websites that will get us started with both chicken care and building plans?  Any good tips that you want to share?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Chickens! Help me plan!

• Options
    And if you have chickens, do they like eating ticks?  Our neighborhood seems to be getting a lot of them this year.
  • Options
    When we got chickens and built our tractor I browsed backyardchickens.com  It is a forum board a lot like this one but they do have a chicken housing section where you can get ideas. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

we built our tractor mostly out of free pallets (and a couple sheets of plywood and some 2x3s).  It's alot bigger than we had planned and doesn't look very nice, but we didn't have any power tools and the pallets weren't wanting to come apart so we pretty much said the heck with it and just built a big box.  (next time we're going to somehow get power tools and make a better one because this thing is a pain to move).  for winter time we'll probably just run an extention cord out to it to plug in a heat lamp.

oh and we have 3 chickens (and 3 dogs)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree, check out backyardchickens. SUCH a great resource.
    Cambria, Keira, and Bonnie Quinn
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    As a PP mentioned, go to backyardchickens. They are awesome, and have answers to every question you could ever come up with.
  • Options
    I don't know, but please to be posting about your progress! I want to get some chickens, but they just became legal in my city. Now I have to convince DH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"