High-Risk Pregnancy

GD - forgot insulin?

I'm on 4 units of Humalog before each meal, for about a month now. This morning I forgot to inject before breakfast. Anyone been given instructions on what to do if you forget? I test at 1 hour and it's been about 40 minutes.

I see my dietitian on Thursday so as long as my number isn't too out of control I'll wait to discuss it with him then, but just curious if any of the other insulin girls were told what to do in this situation.

Mama to two sweet girls
DD1 Feb 2010
DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GD - forgot insulin?

• I have no idea. Do you have instructions what to do if you get a really high number after meals? Are you supposed to take insulin then? I would say that one time won't hurt, even if you get a high number. Its not like you do it every meal. One spike shouldn't effect you or the baby at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My instructions for high numbers are exercise if possible and if it's a pattern, then call, no extra insulin. I see the dietitian once a month to check in, I'm guessing he'll say exactly what you did. 

Oddly enough my number was lower without the insulin - usually 115-125, today it was 109. Got to love GD :S 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you miss it, you miss it. It can make you really sick if you take it late. My MFM said I'll just have a high number and not to worry because taking my insulin late could have worse consequences than one high number.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagelovelyophelia:
    If you miss it, you miss it. It can make you really sick if you take it late. My MFM said I'll just have a high number and not to worry because taking my insulin late could have worse consequences than one high number.

I figured taking it late would really mess things up so I didn't. I was only on NPH last pregnancy and that was a little more flexible so I could take it later if I missed it. The fast acting is new to me. Thanks :)

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagememali26:

imagelovelyophelia:
    If you miss it, you miss it. It can make you really sick if you take it late. My MFM said I'll just have a high number and not to worry because taking my insulin late could have worse consequences than one high number.

I figured taking it late would really mess things up so I didn't. I was only on NPH last pregnancy and that was a little more flexible so I could take it later if I missed it. The fast acting is new to me. Thanks :)

The fast acting can really suck, especially if it is adjusted too high. I've bottomed out one too many times.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagememali26:

imagelovelyophelia:

Hmm. Interesting. I am type 1 and personally, if I forget about a dose of insulin before eating, I take some (not the whole amount but some) when I remember.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imagejuliane2004:
    imagememali26:

imagelovelyophelia:

Hmm. Interesting. I am type 1 and personally, if I forget about a dose of insulin before eating, I take some (not the whole amount but some) when I remember.

My dad was type 1 and could do this. I think it is because his body made no insulin at all. I am making some. Just isn't working right or isn't enough.

• imagelovelyophelia:
    imagejuliane2004:
    imagememali26:

imagelovelyophelia:

My dad was type 1 and could do this. I think it is because his body made no insulin at all. I am making some. Just isn't working right or isn't enough.

Gotcha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"