Infertility Veterans
Options

Disappointing WTF (long)

I knew going into the appointment it wasn't going to be good, but it still hurts hearing it from the doctor.

He basically gave us 3 options:

1. He wants us to get a second opinion from Dr. Yazigi at Shady Grove. The reason he suggested them is b/c they offer a money back guaranteed program. Depending on how much the phone consult cost we might at least do the consult, but DH and I both agreed this probably wasn't an option for us. I think it something like 6 cycles for $20k w/ 100% back if you don't take home a baby. I mentally can't do IVF 6 more times.
  2. Go back to IUI using DS. We would aim for 4-6 mature follies. Surprisingly DH is all on board w/ this option, but I still wish we could fix his sperm. For this IVF his morph was up to 4%, but his final count was only about 40k. I wish we knew why it was getting worse and not better since he is on Clomid and HCG.
  3. Donor Egg - RE isn't ready for me to give up on my eggs. He finds it hard to believe that at my age (28) w/ perfect lab work that my quality should be so bad. That is why he wants us to get a second opinion.
  4. I know I said 3 options but I'm throwing in my option and that is adoption.

Our plan at the moment is to call Shady Grove and see how much the phone consult is. If it is reasonable we will see what he has to say and get a pricing sheet to see if we might reconsider that option. In the mean time I'm going to call my nurse to see what we need to do to get started searching for DS. We will do 3-4, I'm thinking 3 IUI's w/ DS and then we will think about DE or moving to adoption. I wish we could start the adoption process while going through our other options, but I don't think that is an option w/ the agency we will use.

After 3 years of infertility we were blessed with twin girls through private infant adoption.
Forever our's October 17th 2012
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Disappointing WTF (long)

• Options

I went to SG for their DE guarantee and I think their OE guarantee is similar (just cheaper). You do not have to use all 6 cycles. You can quit at any time and get your money back. The only time you can't quit is if you have frozens. Otherwise, you leave when you want, even if you only have tried once. Also, my phone consultation was free.

Good luck with your decision.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ((hugs)) I hate that we have to make these hard choices. The adoption agency we plan to use doesn't allow treatments while pursuing adoption either. Good luck whatever path you choose!
    Trying to grow our family with both fertility treatments and adoption since March 2009 
    IUIs#1-4 = BFN, IVF#1 = c/p, IVF#2 = OHSS, FET#1=BFP
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am sorry your WTF was disappointing.  I hope you and DH will be able to come to a decison soon that will be right for you and your family.  GL!
    TTC since 3/07. IVF#1 = canceled. IVF#2 = 0% fertilization. IVF#3 = BFN. IVF#4 = c/p.  
    Moving forward with Adoption 2017!
  • Options

I'm sorry you are disappointed. That must have all been hard to hear.

I think you have some great options, though. Hopefully the Shady Grove consult will be affordable and give you some good insight.

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• Options
    I'm sorry you had such a disappointing appt today.  I hope the consult with SG is reasonable and you can get some great new insight into your cases.  It sucks that you can't move forward with the adoption paperwork while still cycling.  I hope after you can sit down and process everything, and hopefully get some new information, that you will make the best decision for you guys and get your dreams fulfilled one way or another.  *hugs*
  • Options
    imagehollymichael:

I went to SG for their DE guarantee and I think their OE guarantee is similar (just cheaper). You do not have to use all 6 cycles. You can quit at any time and get your money back. The only time you can't quit is if you have frozens. Otherwise, you leave when you want, even if you only have tried once. Also, my phone consultation was free.

Good luck with your decision.

Thank's for that bit of information.

After 3 years of infertility we were blessed with twin girls through private infant adoption.
    Forever our's October 17th 2012
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

GL with whatever you guys decide.  I am sorry you're stuck with these hard choices...

(((hugs)))

imageimageimage

TTC since March 2009 // Me and DH - 28
    Testing Summer/Fall 2010 - Unexplained IF
    IUIs #1-4 ~ Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IUI #5 ~ Femara/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ BFN
    IUIs #6-9 ~ Research Study Meds/Pregnyl/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IVF Consultation, More Testing
    Diagnostic Cycle ~ Mucinex/Progesterone/TI ~ BFN
    IVF #1 ~ Menopur/Bravelle/Ganirelix/Novarel/Progesterone/Lupron
    7R, 6F // 2 transferred // 3 frosties ~ BFN
    FET #1 ~ Estrace/PIO/Lupron
    3 thawed // 2 transferred // 1 lost // no more frosties ~ BFP!!
    Beta #1 - 456 // Beta #2 - 1176 // Beta #3 - 2933 // Beta #4 - 6753
    EDD: May 16, 2013
    Threatened MC at 6w2d
    Bedrest for SCH // 6w2d through 10w1d
    Elevated TSH and Lazy Thyroid DX @ 10w - Started Synthroid
    Finally released from RE at 13w
    Charles Everett ~ Born 5/20/2013

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~~ My IF Blog ~~ 

• Options

I'm sorry this has to be so hard. It's sucks making these decisions. I always 2nd guess myself somewhere mid 2ww and drive myself nuts.

I think it's definitely time for a 2nd opinion...especially if the RE is suggesting it. I think it's smart to do that before another IUI + DS. I hope that SG can give you some good news and you won't have to make so many tough decisions going forward.

(((hugs)))

• Options
    imagemadelyn07:

I'm sorry you are disappointed. That must have all been hard to hear.

I think you have some great options, though. Hopefully the Shady Grove consult will be affordable and give you some good insight.

This. 

((hugs))

TTC with severe MFI since 9/08 IVF w/ ICSI #1 May/June 2010= BFP twins
    Callan George and Bennett Charles born and died 11/7/10
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    FET #1 April 2011= BFN
    FET #2 July 2011= no transfer because my lining sucked
    FET #3 February 2012= BFP! 1st beta 9dp5dt=314 2nd beta 11dp5dt=977 1st U/S 3/20 Twins- Heart rates of 111 and 138 Pregnancy Ticker
    Living After Losing
  • Options
    i think a 2nd opinion can't hurt.  But I know that is a lot to take in.  Good luck with whatever you decide. (hugs)

~Lauren~
    **SAIF always welcome.**
    After 2+ years, 3 losses, 3 surgeries, 2 IVFs and 1 FET our little girl is here.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (babystinkbreath)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Read in 2011: 56/55
    Read in 2012: 31/30
    Read in 2013: 1/25
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    STL34STL34 member

I'm so sorry your WTF brought more questions than answers.  I hope you can afford the consult with SG (I really hope Holly is right and the consult is free).  A second opinion really couldn't hurt.  Who knows, they might see something your RE missed.

((HUGE HUGS))  Good luck with whatever you decide!

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• Options

I'm so sorry it wasn't a good WTF. (((hugs)))

I did want to chime in on your #3..Does your DH have low testoterone?  Mine does and the urologist had him on HCG 3 times a week and Arimidex for 8 months before our IVF and his count went from zero to 9 million.  I can't remember what morph, etc went up to but they both drastically improved too.  Arimidex is a breast cancer drug actually.  His insurance didn't cover it but we were able to get the generic at Costco for $25 for a 30 day supply.  Just wanted to throw that out there as another option since the Clomid doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am so sorry you don't feel better about the WTF!

Sometimes a second opinion is a great idea.  I went to Shady Grove and Dr. Yazigi was my RE.  Ditto Holly regarding the free consult and guarantee program.  You can stop at any time after using any frosties.  If you have any SG or Dr. Yazigi questions feel free to PM me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"