Attachment Parenting
Options

Guess we are weaning- Your thoughts on milk intake?

I have been having a lack of supply.  It's crazy because I have always had the problem of oversupply.  But the pg and nausea, which makes it hard to drink a lot, is taking its toll.  Since LO is over a year, I am okay with weaning.  But I'm not sure if I should be concentrating on making sure he has milk.  He was allergic to dairy and soy until he was 1.  I give milk (sometimes dairy, sometimes almond) here and there, but I don't focus on it at all.  Mostly, he drinks water or nurses.  He eats cheese and yogurt.  If I decide I need to increase his milk intake, I will give him goat's milk.

What is your approach to weaning DC over 1, do you try to give a certain amount of milk as you decreased breastmilk?

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage

Re: Guess we are weaning- Your thoughts on milk intake?

• Options
    Ari can only have rice milk, which has virtually no nutritional value & he doesn't really drink it. His nutritionist said make sure he's getting calcium rich foods & maybe a vitamin D supplement or at least 10-15 minutes of outside time & he'll be fine. Ari can tolerate mozzarella occasionally (he's more bothered by whey protein than casein, just like mama), so we do this maybe once every week or so. We're pretty bad @ remembering the vitamin D, but he does love his Rainbow Stars multi vitamin & gets that every a.m.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It is SO awesome that your son can tolerate dairy products. That should definitely help make up for some of the nursing. How much are/were you nursing at this point? At that age DD was still getting quite a bit of BM but it decreased so rapidly between then and when she turned two. Since he is under two I, personally, would want to try to get him used to one of the milk products you mentioned and try to get in one good serving a day even if it is in several sittings. But I wouldn't stress too much about it if he is a good eater. I've never looked up the guidelines for WCM intake for toddlers though. We offer DD a rotating supply of milk alternatives and sometimes she will drink a sip and other days she will drink 6oz-8oz.

I hope the rest of the weaning process goes smoothly for you both.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"