Multiples

Bottle to sippy cup transition

We're just on the verge of transitioning from bottles to sippy cups.  The boys have been getting sippy cups of water with every meal and getting good practice but still get their bottles with formula (which we will be able to stop during this switch too).

Did you switch cold turkey or make a gradual change?  How did this effect your daily & night time routine (or what is your new routine for feedings if you've recently made the switch)?

TIA!!

~ Angie

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bottle to sippy cup transition

• We didn't do the full transition until after they were a year old.  I tried to do a gradual change and it kind of worked for one of my girls.  But the other did not want to drink milk out of a sippy.  So I went cold turkey with her.  It was hard because for 2 days, she pretty much didn't drink anything (except at most an oz or so of water).  So during that time, we just made sure she had a lot of fruit to keep her hydrated.  After 2 days, she finally started drinking milk out of her sippy.  It was only an oz or two at the beginning, but now she'll finish her cup most times. 

Once we transitioned to only sippies, we stopped the nighttime bottle as well.  So we would give them their last cup of milk around 6:30, then change diapers, brush teeth, read them a book and they're in bed by 7.  Nothing else changed with our schedule.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm curious to see what worked for everyone as well since we'll be doing this soon as well.  We are currently down to 3 bottles a day - 2 milk and we are going to switch the bedtime bottle to milk Sunday.  I was planning on waiting a week and then transferring a bottle to sippy each week starting with their 2nd bottle, then morning and then bedtime, which is how we have been transitioning from formula to milk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • cold turkey from bottles to born free sippies with a rubber top. not a nipple, but not hard plastic. i felt like it was a good transition.

she was also allowed to play with the cups to get familiarized.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did a gradual transition - sippy cups during the day and a bottle before bed.  After we figured out which sippy cups they liked (which took a couple months) we switched over our bedtime bottle to 1/2 cup of milk in a sippy cup.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2 chem preg, 4 failed IUIs, 2 canc IVFs, 2 BFN IVFs, IVF #5 = BFP!!!
    3/23 Beta #1 @ 17dpo = 913, Beta #2 @ 19dpo = 1724, Beta #3 @ 21 dpo = 3240
    First u/s 3/29 @ 5 weeks 2 days - 3 sacs 6 weeks 3 days - 3 heartbeats 8 Weeks - Lost Baby C, Babies A and B going strong
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm curious what worked for everyone as well, we are about to do something with the bottle, just not sure what yet.
  • i started getting them familiarized with a sippie that has a straw (nuby?) with a little juice and water mixed. they take one sip and then like to turn it over and suck the bottom lol then they drop it on the floor ...baby steps i guess
    Lilcarciofo's Blog Been TTC #1 since July 2007 Unexplained Infertility 11/08 -HSG-all clear! 12/08-2/09 clomid 50 mg/natural cycles=BFN IUI#1 -3/13/09 clomid 50mg=BFN IUI#2 -4/11/09 =BFN (no clomid,rx prob) IUI#3 -5/11/09 clomid 50mg=BFN IUI#4 -6/9/09 clomid 50 mg=BFN IUI #5 -7/8/09 gonal-f/ovidrel trigger=BFN IUI #6 - 8/7/09 gonal f/ovidrel trigger/hcg booster (5000iu) 3dpiui=BFN IUI #7 - 9/5/09 gonal f/ovidrel trigger/2 hcg boosters (5000iu)=BFN Taking a Break....=BFN IUI #8- 11/1/09=BFP Finally! (gonal f/ovidrel trigger/prom & estr Beta#1=14 (11/16) Beta#2=23 (11/18) Beta#3=29 (11/20) Beta #4=8 (11/23) 11/23/09=M/C IUI #9- 12/13/09=BFP!!!! Beta#1=563 Beta#2=1115 Triplets!!! Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the replies - keep them coming!!  I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this transition right now either.  A couple of my friends had done the "cold turkey" approach with switching both bottles & formula, so that is what I was thinking but wanted to see what worked for others!

We've definetly been working on figuring out which sippy works best for the past few months - so far our favorites are Munchkin & Nuby - both with soft spouts.

• We just made the switch these last two weeks.  I introduced sippy cups a while back, just putting water in them and letting them figure them out.  I tried milk in them about a month ago just to see what would happen, my DD did okay while my DS spit out the milk.  Last week I gave them a sippy cup of milk during lunch and they did well.  Then a couple days later I gave them a cup of milk during dinner instead of waiting until right before bed to do a bottle and that worked.  And in my desperate attempt to be done with bottles I did not give a bottle this morning and instead waited and did a cup during breakfast and I was shocked that they were okay with it.  I thought the hardest bottle to give up was going to be the morning bottle.  I really wanted to give up the bottle because my DD was starting to walk around in the morning with her bottle between her teeth.  I haven't tried the straw cups but the soft tip ones work for us.  Good luck.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"