Working Moms

new start -need tips

I need tips from you ladies here of what you did for the following

1.  When starting your child at daycare did you just drop him off from day 1 for full time and leave or did you gradually increase the time limit? Also did you hand around at the daycare for the first couple of days or so ?
  2. Should I be upfront on a few thing K may need atleast initially that will help her settle ex. K prefers being help upright over the shoulder for a nap, she is okie after that to be laid down . Or should i wait for the daycare lady to figure it out?

I am just trying to figure out what I may have done wrong the last time and make corrections to it.

Re: new start -need tips

• 1. I sent DD in for 2 hours one day before I started back full time. It allowed me to get some errands done and the new provider to get to know her. It was a good practice drop off and pick up before the real thing. I wouldn't have wanted to do more than a couple hours though and I am not sure hanging around would have helped.

2. I was upfront about things with DD, especially tricks like you said about sleeping. I left a brief bulleted list of tricks for them to try which they appreciated. But you have to accept that the DCP may have new ways to make things work. She should share them with you so you can try them at home. Communication is key with a provider from both you and her.

Good luck with the new provider! It's a tricky relationship to start, but well worth it when things get going.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
      met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
      Life is good!
    • 1.  Since your LO is older, I would ask if the two of you can come hangout in the room one day.  I did this when I LO started his new DC (at 9 months) and so I was able to see how he interacted with the kids and I also got a glimpse at how the room was run.  I would also start her on a Thursday so that she is only there 2 whole days before a weekend.

2.  I would definitely make a list of the things that she likes and little tricks that work for you at home.  I think that the DC teachers really appreciate it.

• Loading the player...
    • We did a progressive intro to DC. The first day we went in for an hour and I stayed the entire time. Then we went up to 2 hours without me staying, then half a day, then a full day. It still took DD some time to adjust, though.

As for giving hints to the DCP, I don't see why they wouldn't want to hear them! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
      imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
      Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
      Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    • I'm a teacher so the first week my son was in day care was our teacher work days. There's definitely a lot of work to get done but it's more flexible since there aren't kids there so I can pop out if I need to. I told her this and said if things weren't going well etc she should call and I'd come by at lunch or whatever. I think I went like once at lunch time to nurse him but he did great. We had also come to play for like an hour when I was interviewing her so I knew he did ok in that environment.

I would definitely give key tips but not overwhelm them with too many tips at once. Think about the key things that would allow your daughter to have a successful day that might be unique to her. Is sleep one of the things that is trickier for her? Do you notice that she gets particularly cranky when hungry? I would focus first on one area that you think if they get it right then she'll have a good day. Then you can add in tips when they're having trouble in another area. Also, be receptive to their tips and ideas too. You don't have to try them but at least listen and acknowledge their experience. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    • I am sorry you are having such a rough go at this day care thing. I am thinking the first provider was just not a good fit, and hopefully the next provider you find will be much, much better!! (I moved DS1 from a center to an in home day care and while the intial transition period (of about 2-3 weeks) was rough on him...it was the best decision we could have made and he (and his brother) love it there and the two woman who run it love my kids.)

1. When I switched DS1 from the center to the inhome day care he was 13 months old. The 3 days before he started I brought him by for 2 hours each day (with me there) so he could get used to the place, the kids, the women, etc. Then I started him in full time. And he did have a rough first couple of weeks. At first he was crying a lot, not sleeping, etc. The teachers assured me that it was all normal for a child his age and he was transitioning well. By about the 3rd week he was all settled in. And when I only had DS1, I usually just dropped him off and left. It was harder for him when I hung around for a little while. (Once DS2 was born I had to hang around a little more because it took time to drop off 2 kids, and now I can hang around for 15 minutes and they are both fine when I leave). But I honestly used to just drop DS1 off, give him a hug and kiss and leave. It was much easier on him.

2. I think you should tell the teachers anything you think would help them. Of course, my kids do things at day care they would never do at home, so they may find their own ways to soothe and play with her. But I dont think it could hurt to give them as many tips as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
    Choose Another Board
    Search Boards
    "
    "