High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Advise needed re. PTL/Contractions (long)

Hi Ladies, I haven't had the occasion to post here but really need some insight. 

So this past friday night i had regular contractions, when i got to triage they were 3 min apart and my cervix was 1 cm/50% effaced.   I also bled really easily with the swabs and got a positive FFN.   So the contractions slowed down and my cervix didn't change so the midwives decided to have the OB check my cervical length and then let me go home. My Cervix was 2.3 cm and I am 28 weeks.  The OB that came in told me to not lift my toddler, restrict activity(not bedrest) and no work "indefinatly"   So the Contrax were gone at that point so i went home.  But they started right back up again when i got home and i ended up going back to triage that afternoon, again with 2-3 min contractions and this time the new midwife said my cervix was "not quite 2"   Again It didn't change after a couple hours of contractions so i was sent home, this time they told me that this was my "new normal" and to call if anything felt different, and i should be able to work.  So where Im at now is i have an apt to get my cervical length rechecked friday and a follow up midwife appt (also friday)

I guess where im confused is A. They say my cervical length is ok, but all i can find is under 2.5 is concerning.  B.  Should I work or not, should i be worried or not, is this ok or not.... I just don't know...

Any help, experience or info would be really appreciated.  Im getting anxious and i just want someone to give me solid advice. Sorry so long!

Re: Advise needed re. PTL/Contractions (long)

• Options
    I went into L&D in the middle of the night on June 18 for something similar. Last they checked in L&D I was 1cm and 1 - 1.5cm long cervical length. They kept me in the hospital for 2 days and once they saw I was stable they sent me home, no more work and bedrest with the goal of getting to 28 weeks. Best of luck to you.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Did they give you any meds to stop the contractions?? My experience was that I went to L&D on a Tuesday with painful contractions...they gave me 3 doses of terbutaline then sent me home with prescription of Procardia. At that point, cervix was unchanged--no dilation and no effacement (I don't actually know what my starting length was).  That Friday, contractions were really strong, despite the meds and bedrest so they had me come back to L&D. Contractions were coming pretty regular but still no cervical change. To be safe, they admitted me and put me on magnesium sulfate (which is hell). I was on the mag for about 48 hours--no food, couldn't get out of bed so had to have a catheter, and just miserable. Continued to have contractions.  By the time the took me off, I had dliated 1cm and effaced about 80%. I stayed in hospital for 3 more days to be monitored and then was sent home with stronger dose of Procardia and on bedrest until at least 36 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, they didn't give me any meds.  I guess because my cervix didn't change, but im still having bouts of regular contractions...
  • Options
    I was put on bed rest due to PTL and being preg with twins. My advice to you is if you can don't work.. don't do anything, no lifting, bending, stairs, sitting up too long, keep all of the weight off of your cervix.. I would put yourself on bed rest because you want to keep your LO in there a bit longer. I am kind of surprised your doctor did not suggest this.    In the meantime, were you offered the steroid to help your LO's lungs develop? There are some medicines they can give you to try to help you not go into PTL like Magnesium, etc....  talk to your doctor about your concerns.. and good luck!
  • Options
    i went in for ptl/contractions this last weekend and there were no changes to my cervix and after terbutaline they sent me home on bedrest, i would be concerned that they didn't tell you to be on bedrest considering how affected your cervix was, mine is still thick and closed and they still want me on bedrest just because the contractions seem to be coming back frequently- better to err on the side of caution! hang in there and trust your gut feelings, always call your doc if you have worries or questions- thats what we pay them the big bucks for!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"