Adoption
Options

Finalization Trouble... advice?

I'm having a lot of trouble. We are finalizing in the state our son was born in, because it was supposed to be quicker and easier. We were required to complete 3 post placement visits, which we did. That was how my agency was involved, and the rest was supposed to be handled by my attorney.

I don't know what is going on, but I can hardly get in touch with my attorney and his assistant for information.

I called and was told that the TPR hearing was that day, and they were just waiting for the post placement homestudy report.  Then, about 3 weeks ago I asked for an update, and the assistant told me the attorney was going to the TPR hearing later that week. I asked why since it had  already happened, and she said "the Judge assigned to your case was not familiar with this type of proceeding" and he wanted to review it with other judges and reschedule.

Well the day that he was supposed to return to court, the attorney had a family emergency and couldn't go. He phoned in for the hearing, but the judge told him he wanted him there in person with the files and to reschedule again.That is the last we heard, 3 weeks ago. I called and the number is now a wrong number...? and no response by email.

I'm contacting my agency, but besides them, would it be better to contact my state or the "sending state" for help?  

I was hooked up with the attorney through a facilitator. When matched, I looked him up online and read a bunch of negative reviews, but I didn't want to turn down the situation because of that. It has led me to be the mommy of the most wonderful little boy, but honestly, this guy shouldn't be in business....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Finalization Trouble... advice?

• Options
    I don't have any advice.
    But just wanted to wish you luck.  I hope it works out soon.
  • Options

I'd contact everyone I could think of.

We had a somewhat similar situation. We had a lawyer who seemed to be dragging his feet, and every time I called i got a different answer to the same questions. I finally talked to an assistant, who was very helpful. Then she was in a serious car accident and the lawyer was making do with 2 temps who weren't familiar with any of the cases. Every time I called was more and more frustrating. I kept on him every week until we got it all sorted out.

Is there any other lawyer your agency can recommend who would be able to help you? That may be another option.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am waiting for a response from my agency, they do have a location in the other state. I am also going to contact another attorney in that state. 

Is it possible for another attorney to take over my case?   I guess it would cost more, but I wonder if it would affect anything else.

• Options
    imageLittleYellowBirds:

Is it possible for another attorney to take over my case?   I guess it would cost more, but I wonder if it would affect anything else.

I don't see why not, but the agency and/or the lawyer should be able to tell you. We briefly considered it, but we were so far into the process at that point that we just gutted it out with the lawyer we used.

• Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this.  We also had some finalizations problems.  The attorney in Ben's birth state didn't even set up the TPR hearing until Ben was 6 months old.  After that it took another 4 months to get everything sent to our home state and get a court date set up here.  Ben was 10 months old when we finally finalized.  I hope everything gets worked out for you.
  • Options

Thanks so much for all of the advice.

I heard from my social worker and she said we should just finalize here. As of Friday, I think we can get started. Just have to shell out more money, when I have already paid for it.

• Options

I am an adoption and family law attorney, and these things are absolutely NOT okay.  It's the lawyer's responsibility to keep the client updated as to everything that is going on in the case. You need to find another attorney.  People switch lawyers all the time, and your new lawyer will be able to figure out exactly what is going on in the case and even get your file from the old lawyer if you have trouble with this.  I would recommend finding someone who is a member of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys.  https://www.adoptionattorneys.org/directory_map.asp

Good luck and keep us updated! 

• Options
    I don't have anything to add- but just wanted to add my support! I hope this is rectified soon!
  • Options
    Go Dawgs, you have a PM from me!
  • Options

I just responded to your PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"