Natural Birth

Natural heartburn remedies?

I posted this a couple days ago on the November board, but figured there might be some better responses over here.  I'm already having some pretty good heartburn and while I don't think Tums are evil, I don't really want to be downing them by the handful. Anyone having success with any natural remedies?

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
Shawn and Larissa
LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Natural heartburn remedies?

• Baking soda mixed into water.

https://heartburn-home-remedies.net/

I know tums aren't evil either, but it's perfectly okay to prefer a natural method when available. :)

• star173, my DS's name is also Gavin :)

Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
  • Loading the player...
  • Aloe vera juice saved me during my pregnancy. You can find it at natural food stores. Just mix about an ounce of the juice with any juice that you like (or drink it straight). It tastes fine, but the consistancy is a little funky.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Loss #1 (missed miscarriage) 14 weeks Loss #2 (missed miscarriage) 10 weeks Loss #3 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #4 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #5 (chemical pregnancy)
  • This wasn't an intentional fix, but when I cut carbs down after being diagnosed with GD my heartburn disappeared. It almost made having to skip ice cream worth it.
    Married since 09.06.08
    2012 Book Challenge: 20 of 50
    Sophia Leigh has arrived! 02.09.11
  • i haven't tried it yet, but i've heard/read that doing shots of apple cider vinegar twice a day really helps. it tastes nasty, but it works.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• imagesmilelari:
    star173, my DS's name is also Gavin :)

:)

• imagehappyhoopla:
    Aloe vera juice saved me during my pregnancy. You can find it at natural food stores. Just mix about an ounce of the juice with any juice that you like (or drink it straight). It tastes fine, but the consistancy is a little funky.

Is it sold refrigerated or on the shelf?

Shawn and Larissa
  • imagesmilelari:

imagehappyhoopla:
    Aloe vera juice saved me during my pregnancy. You can find it at natural food stores. Just mix about an ounce of the juice with any juice that you like (or drink it straight). It tastes fine, but the consistancy is a little funky.

the whole foods i shop at has it on the shelf, already mixed with other flavors. i didn't mind the taste, but the texture got to me. it doesn't really mix up well, so there are actual chunks of aloe vera in the juice. not pulp like in OJ, but chunks. just as a warning. i know some people are really sensitive to weird textures.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• I keep papaya enzyme on hand and it seems to work :0)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i had horrid heartburn with my first. i kept a bottle of tums with me at all times. then i read about the effects of too much tums. i switched to papaya. worked very well.

with my second, i started off eating papaya.

• For a quick fix, chewing gum seems to help!
  • imageBradleyInstructor:
    For a quick fix, chewing gum seems to help!

Unfortunately I have TMJ, so no gum for me!

I have a whole arsenal of ideas now.  Thanks everyone.

Shawn and Larissa
  • imagesmilelari:

imagehappyhoopla:

Just on the shelf, but you'll want to keep it refrigerated once you open it. As a pp said, the texture is kind of odd (sort of mucusy), but I found that it did mix well enough with a glass of juice. They do flavor it (I found a yummy berry one), so you can down it like a shot if you want.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Loss #1 (missed miscarriage) 14 weeks Loss #2 (missed miscarriage) 10 weeks Loss #3 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #4 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #5 (chemical pregnancy)
  • Papaya enzyme pills and/or tablespoon of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar are what that midwives at MMC recommend.  I was taking papaya enzymes when pregnant with Lexi, but stopped because I had low platelets and was worried about risking out of the birth center and apparently the papaya enzymes can act as a blood thinner so we thought it was prudent for me to stop taking them near the end of the pregnancy.  They worked really well though.  I hate the taste of papaya (tastes like feet to me) so I had to plug my nose to chew them up and eat something immediately after chewing them to get them down.

They also recommended Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar or maybe it was the liquid Aminos.  One tablespoon.  I tried it once (not Bragg's just regular) and it was really hard for me to get it down so that's why I went the papaya route.  This time I might have to suck it up and go the Vinegar route depending on what my platelet count is this time. 

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Yes, I used Nature Made Heartburn Tea. It was great! It didn't even need time to work. I put a little bit of honey in it. They carry it at Babies R Us. Sorry you're feeling bad :(
  • Regular skim milk works for me, but I understand that it may have the opposite effect for some people.
  • I chew papaya extract tablets. Also, almonds work well!
  • Yes, papya enzyms work wonderfully in combatting heartburn. They are easy to keep on hand in your purse. When I need to take that burning sesation out of the esophagus immediately, I drink almond milk. At night I get HB so bad I wake up vomitting. When this happpens, or even to preven it, I suck on ginger root while I sleep. Some women find the actual root potent and rather drink Canada Dry instead. I personally think the root works better. Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doula recommended chewing gum. It works really well. Nothing more natural than your own saliva to neutralize acid.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagepepomntpat:
    My doula recommended chewing gum. It works really well. Nothing more natural than your own saliva to neutralize acid.

Do you suppose mints would work as well?  (I have TMJ and avoid gum)

Shawn and Larissa
  • A glass of milk helps with my heartburn.
  • CTri17CTri17 member

papaya enzyme

chocolate milk (but this may bother some)

and this next time I've already bought a hazelwood ankelet from www.hazelaid.com

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Best Natural remedy that really works: ManukaGuard Nutralize
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"