Cincinnati Babies
Options

What would YOU do RE: drop-side crib

So we were actually just getting ready to transition DS2 from the bassinet into the crib in his room that he shares with DS1. The crib we have is one we got from friends, who used it for both of their sons, and we used it for DS1, all with no problems. It is a drop-side crib with metal slides and screws, no plastic. It is not amoung the recalled cribs. Today they have "banned" drop-side cribs.

Money is tight. I didn't expect to have to buy a new crib, and it's not really in the budget. But if necessary, I'll do what I can because I don't want to risk my child, who means more to me than money. But we are trying to work out of me being unemployed for more than 2 years and just getting back into the workforce, and this was not something we planned for financially.

What would you do? Would you continue to use the crib you've had no problems with even though it's a drop-side crib, or would you try to find the money to buy one that isn't a drop-side?

Re: What would YOU do RE: drop-side crib

• Options
    What about adding hardware so that it is no longer dropside?  I have no idea how to do this myself but I have talked to a couple people who did this with theirs.  I would not be comfortable myself knowing the risks to use it as is, even though there were no previous problems.
  • Options
    We ordered parts from the manufactor to bring ours up to standard.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. See about ordering the parts to make it no-longer drop-side.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I didn't even think of this. Makes much more sense than having to buy another crib!
  • Options

I agree with contacting the company to get the "fix kit".  If you can't get the kit you can find some pretty cheap cribs. 

The Graco - Sarah Classic 4-1 Convertible Crib is about 129.00 at Walmart.  It convert to a toddler bed when you remove the from rail.  I have this one for DD and she is currently using it as a toddler bed.  This would allow you to purchase something with a dual purpose and use it longer. 

Also, IKEA has the Sniglar Crib in beech color listed at 69.99.  Just a thought :0)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I would just make sure that it is still in great working condition and use it.  If you are still unsure just make it so it doesn't drop down anymore.  I bought a drop-side for DS and plan on using it with this new baby too.  As long as you keep making sure that it ok I think it is alright.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I personally still used my drop down when I had it.  It is a personal decision for everyone but there are ways to make it not drop down anymore also if that makes you feel better.  Good luck with your decision!
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Options

I actually have kept a screw driver in the boys' room and regularly check to make sure all the screws are tight. I've done this ever since we got the crib, even before the recalls started happening.

Thanks ladies. I'll look into anything the manufacture may have to make it a non-drop-side crib to see if it can be "fixed". I appreciate all your suggestions and feedback!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"