Washington Babies

bedtime/sleep Q

I was just reading a post on my birth month board about someone complaining that her child is waking up once during the night and what she's doing wrong that he's not sleeping 10-12 hours like Babywise or "everyone else's" babies are. I thought that was funny to assume that all babies will truly STTN (as in all night) at 7 months, or is it just me?

E goes to bed at about 8:00 (sometimes 8:30), wakes up around 3-4, eats, and promptly goes back to sleep until about 8 a.m. or so.  I'm really, really happy with that. She takes 2 naps during the day of about 1-2 hours each (sometimes a 3rd if we're really busy or going places in the car).

However, a lot of the moms on my birth month board were saying that anything past 7 or 7:30 is way too late of a bedtime for a baby this age.   Should I be putting her to bed earlier? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: bedtime/sleep Q

• imagedoublem:

I was just reading a post on my birth month board about someone complaining that her child is waking up once during the night and what she's doing wrong that he's not sleeping 10-12 hours like Babywise or "everyone else's" babies are. I thought that was funny to assume that all babies will truly STTN (as in all night) at 7 months, or is it just me?

E goes to bed at about 8:00 (sometimes 8:30), wakes up around 3-4, eats, and promptly goes back to sleep until about 8 a.m. or so.  I'm really, really happy with that. She takes 2 naps during the day of about 1-2 hours each (sometimes a 3rd if we're really busy or going places in the car).

All of this sounds like M around 7 months. She didn't STTN until she was 11.5 months. E is doing great! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Getting 12 hours of sleep is just fine. :) 

Laurel STTN with zero wakeups after 2 days of CIO (for night wakings) at around 7 months.  I was ok with her getting up once (Heaven compared to when they're 4 weeks old, right?!), but her ped said it was ok to CIO for those night wakings, and that she was at a healthy weight, didn't need that extra feeding, yadda yadda. Getting rid of the night wakings was honestly so easy for us.  She cried for 10 minutes and fell back asleep.  Now going to sleep.... that's another story....

Granted, she still NOW sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night, but it's not out of hunger, now it's just when she's sick or teething.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • A) I would have been thrilled if C woke only once per night at that age.

B) Babywise is dangerous reading.

C) Charlie's bedtime is 9:30pm, ish.  We are night owls and sleep in when possible, so we prefer it.  Getting up before 8:30 or so is not high on mine or A's list of things that make us happy.  And frankly, we like (as we talked about last night) the flexibility to be able to go out and do stuff with her for dinner, take her to the ILs for babysitting and not worry about her "needing" to go to bed.  And plus DH gets home from work between 7:30-8 at least one night per week, so an early bedtime would mean no family dinner or daddy-Charlie time.  I say that you do what works for your family and not worry about what other people are doing.  I'm sure there are people that think I'm nuts for letting my kid stay up as late as she does, but it's what works for us so until we need to be getting up earlier on a more regular basis I'm not gonna fool with it. 

D) Bishes be crazy.  And judgy.

image Visit The Nest!

• I think that is an unrealistic expectation for  LO to sttn at 7 months. I think its totally normal for them to still wake up once or twice. At least it always was in our house :) Both my kids sttn by the time they were one, but not at 7 months. And 8 pm is when mine go to bed too. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My children don't STTN (for more than a week) until they are at least 1 year old, but usually closer to 18 months old. I am a firm believer in the idea that children do things when they are ready (and every child is ready at a different age.)
    Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • You should do what works for your child and your family. If the schedule you have works for you and your child is happy and healthy then there is nothing wrong with it.
  • There's definitely a book or two out there that claim that all kids should go to bed before some certain time.  Which, come on.  That's BS.  Kids all have different needs and rhythms.   Neither of my kids has ever slept a 12 hour night that I can recall.  And they go to bed later too.   It works for us, it works for them, they take good naps, etc...  

I can't even remember what either of them were doing at 7 months but it was nothing even close to STTN.   Cooper's version of STTN now is still only like 8.5-9.5 hours.  But then he takes a 2.5 hour nap that I usually have to wake him up from.   He's getting on the lower end of the "normal range" of sleep for his age.  Ben has always been on the lower end too.   

• KNemoKNemo member
    Max didn't sleep through the night until he was 18-months old, and we tried everything. Some babies just don't STTN until much later than others. It is perfectly normal to wake up once at 7-months.
    The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• bunchbunch member
    Here's the deal- if you are happy with the way things are and E seems happy and healthy, then that's the right schedule for your family. It sounds like you are content, so screw some strangers on the internet!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks, ladies - you pretty much affirmed that I was not the crazy bad mommy (which I didn't feel like until I read that stupid thread.  Another reason the internet can suck sometimes).

And Shane, I PPH you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto everyone else, sounds like she is doing great and it works for you guys, I say keep it up! Max did actually sleep 12 hours by six months, but he was unusual, I definitely wouldn't consider that the norm. He is one where an early bedtime worked really well to help him sleep longer, but as others have mentioned it wasn't always the most convenient to have him in bed at 6:30 every night. Every kiddo is different for sure!
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Didn't read other responses yet, but don't worry at all!  K was going to bed after 10pm at that age.  If we'd try to bump her earlier she rebelled and it was ugly.

Do what works for your family.  E sounds like she has a sleep habit that is getting her the rest she needs!

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"