Adoption

First foster placement, eek!

First foster placement tonight -- boys 13 and 9. Any tips on breaking the ice with them and getting past some of the initial awkwardness?

Re: First foster placement, eek!

• pizza, ice cream, board games, or family video games(if you're more techy)..

• So exciting! Good luck!
    We are adopting! Currently waiting for our domestic infant adoption match.

My blog: Making Me Mom

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • CheleChele member
    Good luck!
    10/27/07
  • Find out what they like to do and maybe have a family day tomorrow...mini golf, catch a movie, play baseball/batting cages, go on a picnic.

Tommorow night  maybe have a movie night with make your own pizzas or ice cream sundaes...

Just a though. Sending you tons of luck and fun!

~Jenn 

Unable to conceive due to emergency hysterectomy 11/04 Started our adoption journey 4/11 9/29/11- Officially waiting! 5/29/12- Our little boy is born and goes home with us the next day :-)
  • oh good luck!
    "Onward"--CathyMD Waiting since 07/5/2011 for our forever child! Yep we are adopting!
  • Thanks guys. These are some good ideas. Something I didn't mention in my OP is that there's a bit of a language barrier -- they don't speak a whole lot of English. So after I'd showed them around the house and introduced them to everyone, there were a lot of awkward silences while we all tried to figure out what to say... I'm sure we'll settle into a routine within a few days.
  • Good luck! Everything will go great.  When we had a 10 year old, we played family video games with him and it worked well!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • oh how awesome :))) Good luck! Let us know how they settle in!
    dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I personally would skip the ice cream. Too much sugar in a new place can create some issues you might not know about. We've always limited sugar intakes in our house.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lots of luck!
    I'm sure you'll do great!
  • Good luck!

A few tried-and-true tips:

1) Spend a few meals in a resturant or nuetral setting, like a park picnic or Dennys. (This especially works for older kids on the first few nights home). We always liked to get to know them and talk about family rules befre brining them home, so it was less intimidating

2) Let them "decorate" their rooms. Offer a board or place to hang photos, (perhaps of birth family) or artwork, school assignments etc. We always set up the room prior to the placement (when we had notice) but then would go to the store together to pick up last minute items. Letting them select their own bedding, clothing and toiletries restores a sense of empowerment and normalcy

3) During your family group meeting (between social worker, birth family, possibly you, CASA worker etc) find out what the kids enjoy, so you can utilize that in your home. If you can't find out---ask!

4) Do group activies, like board games or visit the zoo.

5) Finally, allow plenty of "downtime", and identify a place in your home when your foster children can go to spend a few minutes of along time. This could be a special tree outside, their bed, the family den downstairs, etc.

Hope this helps~!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • How exciting!  I don't have any advice to add, I just wanted to wish you good luck.

Please let us know how it's going after you all settle in!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"