Military Families

Foreign Service Officers?

I know it's not quite the military, but I figured this might be a good board for my questions!  DH and I are considering applying to become FSO's with the State Department.  I've been doing extensive research, and it seems like now is a good time for us to do it (due to our son's age and many other variables).  

My question is for those of you who live overseas, how is it with children?  Did you find the transition difficult?  Do they attend local schools?  What are some of the biggest hurdles you've had to overcome (if any)?  If you've been assigned to different bases, how do your children adjust to such changes?  Any stories, advice, etc are much appreciated!  I'm trying to make sure that we consider every possible angle before moving forward.

Are there any FSO's on this board?  

My apologies if these are frequently asked questions.  I scrolled back several pages but didn't see anything that answers my concerns.   TIA!

Re: Foreign Service Officers?

• sjpsjp member

Hi! I am not currently a FSO, but was (almost 10 years ago!).

I left before having kids for many reasons.  However, I have seen both upsides and downs to life in the FS.  I have freinds that grew up in it, and loved the life so much that they are now FSOs and raising families themselves.  Ive seen the other side as well, those that hated it. Overseas the education can be hit or miss . ..  I guess if you have any specific questions Id be happy to try and answer them.  Also one of my friends is raising three kids in the FS as a single mom.  Her blog is:

https://fourglobetrotters.blogspot.com/2010/10/keeping-up-with-joneses.html?spref=fb

she was raised in the FS as well . . .

over all, I loved it! It can be a very rewarding life/career!

BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesjp:

Hi! I am not currently a FSO, but was (almost 10 years ago!).

I left before having kids for many reasons.  However, I have seen both upsides and downs to life in the FS.  I have freinds that grew up in it, and loved the life so much that they are now FSOs and raising families themselves.  Ive seen the other side as well, those that hated it. Overseas the education can be hit or miss . ..  I guess if you have any specific questions Id be happy to try and answer them.  Also one of my friends is raising three kids in the FS as a single mom.  Her blog is:

https://fourglobetrotters.blogspot.com/2010/10/keeping-up-with-joneses.html?spref=fb

she was raised in the FS as well . . .

over all, I loved it! It can be a very rewarding life/career!

Thank you so much!  Sounds like your friend has her hands full!  Off to read her blog... 

• Loading the player...
  • Hi there.  I am living at my second embassy right now, have had children in school at both, and would be happy to answer any questions you have. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"