Adoption

To Those Still Waiting....

Do you have names picked for your future adoption?

I know this is a strange question.  And probably different for everyone.  But our agency told us to make a list of names to bring to the table for when we meet our match for the first time.  And I've met a lot of couples that just know what they want to name their future child.

But I just can't seem to go there.  Not sure why...but it's like I 'can't' pick a name.

Just wanted to see what you all thought about naming your future child!

Re: To Those Still Waiting....

• We narrowed down the list a long time ago, but we had a definite name in mind for a boy (thanks to DH) and a strong contender for a girl.

When we met DD's BM we were worried she'd hate the girl name we picked, but she loved it.

If you don't have a name in mind, I don't see that as being a huge problem. Maybe the e-mom has something in mind that you'll love.

• I'm not even waiting yet, but DH & I have a short list of names we love from when we were TTC....so I think we'll just carry that list over to adoption. But I think Dr. L is right that it seems like even if you don't have one picked out, something will come together once your child is born through conversations with the birth mom and/ or some discussions with your husband. Maybe you'll just need it to feel "real" like that by holding your baby in your arms :)
    We are adopting! Currently waiting for our domestic infant adoption match.

My blog: Making Me Mom

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehillaree:
    I'm not even waiting yet, but DH & I have a short list of names we love from when we were TTC....so I think we'll just carry that list over to adoption. But I think Dr. L is right that it seems like even if you don't have one picked out, something will come together once your child is born through conversations with the birth mom and/ or some discussions with your husband. Maybe you'll just need it to feel "real" like that by holding your baby in your arms :)

I wonder if that's it.  It's like I have a mental block.  I can't even come up with a list - let alone narrowing it down to one. 
    Maybe I'm protecting myself until it's 'real'.  I'm not sure. 

• We're waiting too, and we talk about names we like, but certainly haven't chosen any yet.  I agree that it's hard to really pin down down names when there is not yet a baby to attach it too.
  • We had names picked out while we were waiting one boy name and one girl name.  Thankfully, we did because we got the call about Ben who was born the day before the call and the agency wanted his name to put on all the papers they were drawing up and the placement papers that showed how we were his legal guardians if anyone needed to see how we were related.  It helped them get the paper work done faster so when we got to the hospital the next day we just had to sign all the papers they had already made up.

I can see though how some people just need that baby in their arms before they want to name the baby. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our list of names carried over from our days of TTC.  We knew 100% what our boy name would be, and had our list of girl names narrowed down to 2 or 3.
    *TTC since February 08* 2 IUIs that didn't take, exploratory LAP and hysterscopy in September 2010 that revealed nothing, means we're adopting! Preliminary paper work to agency & started home study in 11/10 Profiles to agency on 1/12/11 - Officially waiting! First home study visit scheduled for 1/29/11 Matched (Eek!) on 1/24/11 *Sweet baby boy born on 1/26/11* Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well not waiting in that sense but in this waiting period ;-)

Just wanted to share that we had picked out names we thought we'd use.  When we were matched BM asked us what name we had chosen, and when she approved, it became THE name of our child.  I can't believe that was about two weeks ago now.... 

• I had a couple of names picked out, but when we were matched with a baby girl, the name just didn't fit. I took a nap and woke up with a name and it was just perfect, even though we had never considered it before. The situation didn't work out, ultimately, but it let me know that sometimes you just have to look at the baby to figure out their name :)

• We have a boy and girl name picked out (carry over from 2 years of TTC), and we plan to use them no matter how we become parents.
    June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• We have names chosen from when we were TTC.  You never know, though, once we see the baby, like many have said...but I think we are happy with our choices.  

BTW- I listened to your sermon on adoption, cried at some parts, laughed at some parts.  Thank you for sharing it on your blog.  It really spoke to my heart. :-) 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

after several m/c, DD#1 born 7-7-08, more m/c and failed IVF, started adoption process March 2011, matched Oct 2, 2012, DD#2 born 10-31-12
    Hope Wait Pray Adoption Blog
  • We would look at names randomly in the wait and would talk about the ones we liked. We eventually started keeping a list of our favorites and had 2 girl names and 2 boy names picked out. We wanted to wait until we saw our child before we commited to the name. (in case he/she didn't look like the name we had picked!). Well I'm glad we did that because we found out about K on Monday afternoon and picked her up on Tuesday morning. We met her Monday afternoon and while I was holding her they asked about a name. We both said K, even though originally I was leaning towards our other name for a girl that we had picked out. She looked like a K!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • we had definite names picked out (one of each) when we were ttc. interestingly, neither of those feels like it's in the running anymore. it might sound strange, but it is as if we grieved those children (the idea of them) as part of our grieving process, and now we are thrilled to think about our family in a new way. with that has come new names. we've got a short list for each, and we're having fun playing around with which ones we like best...but i'm guessing we'll just see which name fits our kiddo when the time comes vs picking a definite choice beforehand.
  • imagepotatohead:

We have names chosen from when we were TTC.  You never know, though, once we see the baby, like many have said...but I think we are happy with our choices.  

BTW- I listened to your sermon on adoption, cried at some parts, laughed at some parts.  Thank you for sharing it on your blog.  It really spoke to my heart. :-) 

Wow.  Thank you.
    I'm honored that you would take the time to listen.

Thanks.

• What's funny- we had definite names picked before we found DD. We didn't go with either of them. DH found a name that was just perfect for our precious gift from God.
  • imageswanck:

But our agency told us to make a list of names to bring to the table for when we meet our match for the first time.

I've not heard this advice yet; it makes sense i suppose...

DH and i have names we've thought of but not said out loud to each other.  we decided we would keep them to ourselves until we had a "sticky match"  and knew we'd actually be bringing our baby home.

i know, it's weird...we don't have a nursery done either; same reason pretty much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"