Indiana Babies

Jacquie and Beth - Re: painting a Jenny Lind crib

I'm ordering a Jenny Lind crib from Amazon next week and want to refinish it in a blue/turquoise. Any tips for me? Do I need to sand off the finish before I start? I think the answer to that is yes. Did you both use spray paint, and if so did you put a clear coat on it? I'm a little concerned about the baby chewing on it, even though I would use non-toxic spray paint.

Re: Jacquie and Beth - Re: painting a Jenny Lind crib

• We sanded and primed our crib. Ours had a glossy stain as the original finish and wouldn't have covered otherwise. An alternative to sanding plus priming could be to jut prime with an oil-based primer. Oil-based is the best option for covering over a previously finished item because it covers so well and you can paint over it with an based paint (acrylic, oil, latex, etc.). The bad thing about oil-based primer is that it stinks like whoa and takes a while to off-gas. We chose to sand and prime with an acrylic spray primer because it wasn't quite so stinky and we were in a bit of a time crunch. We spray painted with some Valspar spray from Lowe's and finished it off with a few coats of matte-finish spray. It's pretty well protected with several of the clear coats.

I'm going to have to sew up a chew guard for our crib. I think whether or not you (general you) spraypaint your crib, it's a good idea. All cribs have a finish that the baby can ingest so I don't feel, personally, that a slrayed finish is any worse that a pre-finished piece. Baby is still going to nom on it and ingest flakes. At least you can control what he/she is ingesting when you purchase your spray!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We spray primed ours w/ a spray primer and only sanded a bit.  I'm pretty sure we didn't use an oil based one and it worked fine.

We also used spray paint to paint the crib (Valspar from Lowe's).  With the spindles it is SO much easier to do that.  We did not use a clear coat, and have teething guards on the crib (although at 9m Scarlett has never attempted this - unlike Jackson who chewed the sh*t out of his crib from the beginning...)

Oh and this may seem obvious, but I didn't really think about it until we did it - but we sprayed it in pieces vs. put together and made a cardboard spray paint "room" in the garage.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your help, ladies.  Sounds like there are a couple of different ways to do it that will work.  I was hoping to not sand it and be lazy by just painting over the white finish, but depending on when I am able to get started on it I'll probably bite the bullet and do the sanding.  I am excited to start this project!

It was good seeing your adorable kiddos in their summer photos.  So cute! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"