Pre-School and Daycare

Bugs, especially bees.

How does your child react?

If it is a bee or a fly, my DD screams.  Like bloodcurdling scream.  She freezes up, hunches her shoulders.  She's never been stung, not even close.

I have told her a million times to walk away.  Like leave the bug alone, they leave you alone.

I have also tried to get her "into" bugs.  She holds earthworms, and she's happy with bugs like lacewings and ladybugs (she says "awww, they are sooo cute" and begs me to come over).

Today she screamed so hard because she saw a bee, it literally hurt my ears, and our 1.5 year old was completely freaked out.  This also happens in our backyard all the time.  Is there any way to work on this?  I would just like her to not respond in such a terrified manner, and I would like to tone done the screaming if possible..

A few weeks ago there was a fly in the car and she screamed bloody murder, I seriously thought I was going to veer right off the road from all the screaming!

Re: Bugs, especially bees.

• Yep, DS is the same way. It just started a few weeks ago. Suddenly he is terrified of ALL flying bugs. I have no idea where it came from as we never made a big deal about bees or bugs. But he calls them all bees, thinks they are all after him, and there have been a few days where he didn't even want to go outside out of fear. We have told him the same thing about just leaving them alone, but he is still scared. 

It must be a common thing at this age. I remember being pretty scared, too, although I think I was a bit older.  

I have no advice. I just keep really downplaying them. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"