High-Risk Pregnancy

GD mamas- induction

Have you talked to your doctors about induction yet? At my last appointment mine was telling me that she does not want to let me go too many (as in 2ish) days past my due date due to the GD unless my cervix is not favorable to labor. I trust her completely but was wondering what everyone else was hearing.

Re: GD mamas- induction

• I am now (as of today) insulin controlled, so my doctor said they won't let me go more than a day or two past 39 weeks before induction. When I was diet controlled, she said not much past 40 weeks. She's generally not induction happy so I know she wouldn't recommend it if it weren't important. This is my third baby, though, and I was already dilated to 4 at 38 weeks with DD2 so I'm not super worried about an induction. It isn't necessarily what I'd choose if I didn't have GD, but it is what it is. 

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • w/ds i was on insulin, and they were going to induce me at 39.5ish weeks.  thankfully ds decided to come a few days before on his own.

this time i'm not sure what the plan will be, i should know more at tomorrow's appt.  i don't know if they will plan to induce me at a certain point or not.  i'm not on insulin (yet)... so we'll see!  

basically though GD makes your placenta break down faster which is why they don't usually let you go past your due date.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • With my DD, my OB induced at 39 weeks for all insulin dependent patients. Diet controlled they would consider going to 40 weeks if all NSTs, etc., came back completely clear.

This time, I haven't discussed it with my OB since about 13 weeks, and at that point we obviously had no clue how my pregnancy would progress. He said if I stayed diet controlled, he would attempt to sweep membranes around 38 or 39 weeks, but really prefers to let labor happen naturally, or with natural nudges toward labor, rather than induce. If I got to 40 weeks with no signs of impending labor we'd talk induction within a day or two.

Unfortunately I am now on insulin 4x a day. I've seen a different OB the last several appts, but when I see my regular OB this week I intend to ask what the new game plan is. I expect it will be induction at 39 weeks again, and I am okay with that. I had a very positive induction experience with DD. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If I was trying for a VBAC, I wouldn't be allowed past 39 weeks. But I'm doing a repeat c-section, so I still won't go past 39 weeks.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Since I am diet-controlled and only testing once a day other than fasting, there is no way I will be induced before my due date. Originally (before GD) my MW said I could go to 42 weeks. Now, I think she'd prefer 41.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm diet controlled & I'm hoping for a VBAC.  My dr will not induce for a vbac & I was told (before being diagnosed with gd) that I have to go into labor on my own by 41 weeks.  I have a feeling that now with the gd diagnosis they are going to give me until 40 weeks before another c-section. 
    Photobucket Sydney Elise 5/9/09 Kate Reese 8/2/11
  • I'm diet-controlled and the doc told me that they would induce between 39 and 40 weeks, but that I wouldn't go to the full 40 weeks.  I haven't talked to them about it lately, but I think at my appt next week, I'll bring it up again since we are getting closer.
  • imagejgray6651:
    I'm diet-controlled and the doc told me that they would induce between 39 and 40 weeks, but that I wouldn't go to the full 40 weeks.  I haven't talked to them about it lately, but I think at my appt next week, I'll bring it up again since we are getting closer.
         This.  I am also diet controlled and the doc said I would be induced between 39 and 40 weeks, but definitely not allowed to go to 40 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was diet-controlled and allowed to go to 42 weeks for my VBAC.  I'm sorry, but it makes me cringe when docs treat all GD patients alike, when the current research doesn't support that at all.  What is their reasoning for inducing so early for a diet-controlled patient?  Big baby, placenta breaking down?  Those are not a result of controlled GD, but rather insulin (honestly don't know about Metformin b/c it was never an issue for me). 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagechicsub:
    I was diet-controlled and allowed to go to 42 weeks for my VBAC.  I'm sorry, but it makes me cringe when docs treat all GD patients alike, when the current research doesn't support that at all.  What is their reasoning for inducing so early for a diet-controlled patient?  Big baby, placenta breaking down?  Those are not a result of controlled GD, but rather insulin (honestly don't know about Metformin b/c it was never an issue for me). 

I am absolutely with you on this. My baby measured in the 51st percentile...she isnt big. There is no magic date where every single person needs to be induced by if youre diet controlled, and I made sure to discuss with my doctor that I wanted to work with her on my individualized treatment. I felt from day one that gd took that away but I have a great mw who understands! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I was just coming here to post this question. My MIL (an L&D nurse) told me yesterday that typically they will induce at 39 weeks. Obviously she is only familiar with her own hospital and the doctors there. My OB does deliver at that hospital but I doubt there is a hard and fast rule regarding this. I go tomorrow for my 28w visit so I will ask then.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• imagejessicaclare:

I am now (as of today) insulin controlled, so my doctor said they won't let me go more than a day or two past 39 weeks before induction. When I was diet controlled, she said not much past 40 weeks. She's generally not induction happy so I know she wouldn't recommend it if it weren't important.

This! My doctor also talks to my belly and has given the little one specific instructions to come out around 38 weeks so they don't have to induce me...It's pretty funny when she does it.

image   image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When I was 1st diagnosed, my Dr said they wouldn't let me go past my due date without inducing, though she is generally against inductions. Now that we're further along, and my sugars have been very hard to control, I am measuring big, and we may open it up for further discussion to induce earlier. But she does want my body to make some progress first, dilating and effacing on it's own, before she does anything to "help" it along. So hopefully baby will just decide to come early on her own.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• With my first - even though I was diet controlled my OB had me scheduled to induce at 39 weeks (he felt safer that way with growth and placenta) but I ended up having my water break at 37 weeks and didn't have to worry about it.

With this pregnancy I am still diet controlled but my new OB said we'll discuss it for 39 weeks. This OB is really good with doing growth scans as well. I keep measuring 4 weeks ahead but our scans have shown a normal average weight so far. We have another for next Wednesday. I'm secretly hoping this LO comes before induction like my first though!

• imageMrs.N.H.:
    imagejessicaclare:

I am now (as of today) insulin controlled, so my doctor said they won't let me go more than a day or two past 39 weeks before induction. When I was diet controlled, she said not much past 40 weeks. She's generally not induction happy so I know she wouldn't recommend it if it weren't important.

This! My doctor also talks to my belly and has given the little one specific instructions to come out around 38 weeks so they don't have to induce me...It's pretty funny when she does it.

Ha! That is awesome. I love fun doctors.

• I was told that they will induce me at 39 weeks.  I'm okay with that so I didn't question it. 

ETA:  I'm on glyburide once a day in the morning. 

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"