March 2011 Moms

H wants to bring the swing on vacay.

WWYD?

We're going up to my Uncle's house on Lake Champlain for July 4th weekend - it'll be 2 nights/3 days, 6-hour ride. DD really only naps in her swing - she will sleep for short stints (30 mins max) in the stroller, carseat or crib, but she'll go over 2 hours in the swing. And she's at the stage where if she doesn't get her naps, she has total meltdowns in the evenings where she works herself up so much she won't even nurse.

H said the other day that we should bring the swing. My reaction was to laugh and say absolutely not, but then...maybe. We have to put the storage box on top of the car anyway, because DD's carseat is in the middle of the back seat and our big dog is in the third row, which leaves very little room for all of our bags, strollers, etc. Sooo since we'll have the space, I'm kind of thinking why not bring it. It's huge, though (FP snugabunny), and my family will definitely think we're crazy, lol. Would you bring it or deal with naps however it works out for the two days you're there??

imagePregnancy Ticker

Re: H wants to bring the swing on vacay.

• nattnnattn member
    I would definitely be tempted to bring it, especially since you have the room, BUT, it's been my experience that DD acts completely different and doesn't nap at all the same when we're on vacation. No matter how we've tried to simulate any of the ways she naps at home, she always takes much shorter naps when we're anywhere else. She just knows and seems rather restless. Have you ever taken the swing anywhere and if so, did DD take her usual 2 hour nap? If you think DD will nap like normal in it, I would take it. It would be pointless for us to take our DD's swing on vacation.
  • I would probably leave the swing at home.  It's too much hassle for such a short trip.  However, to each their own - if you want to bring it and have the room for it, then you should.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Having a child that only naps in the swing (he's in the crib at night) I would definitely bring it if I had the room, no questions asked!  We're going on vacation in August and if DS is still in the swing we'll be bringing my Mom's small portable swing.

You can get a new travel swing for about $40-50 if you wanted to do that instead.  My Mom found her's at Once Upon a Child for $20.

• DS usually only naps in his swing as well.  Because of this, my mom requested we bring the swing to her house when she watched him overnight once.  Swing = lifesaver.  She will be watching him once a week when I go back to work and she is planning to buy a smaller swing for her house.  I believe it's a $40-$50 FP swing, 

That being said, I would probably bring a swing if you were staying longer than a weekend.  If it's just a short trip, I'd just deal with it.   

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Alice naps best in the swing too. We go away a lot and don't take it. I find that on vacations/time away from home she is completly different. If you are going for 3 days will you be travelling the 1st and 3rd day? I find Alice sleeps most of the way on our 4 hour trips so we don't worry about her napping on travel days. On the other days I find that she naps well because she is tired out from interacting with everyone. If you have room and it will ease your mind take it with you.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If you think it will help her, take it.  Luke usually takes long naps in his swing, but when we went away to visit my husband's family Memorial Day weekend, I put him in his cousin's swing (exact same model we have), and he didn't nap for more than 20 minutes.  Based on that, I'm not going to bother taking his on vacation.  Your little girl may be different though.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If you have room I would take just so you could possibly enjoy yourself more but as others said, your LO might nap altogether different away... hope all goes well!

ps-I'm also buying a travel swing as some mentioned :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"