High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Measuring 4 weeks ahead... 3 hour GTT and Growth Ultrasound Next Week

I am measuring 32 weeks and I failed the one hour glucose challenge, but I have a question about having a large baby on a growth ultrasound, etc and GD.

I started this pregnancy wanting to avoid a c-section if at all possible, since I knew I was high risk for GD.

My question is if baby continues to measure this big will they induce me at 37 weeks to try to avoid a c-section or will they allow me to go to 40 weeks and just suggest a c-section?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Measuring 4 weeks ahead... 3 hour GTT and Growth Ultrasound Next Week

• Options
    That's something you probably need to ask your doctor, each will have their own opinion. I personally would not induce at 37 weeks just due to size, especially since growth u/s can be off by quite a bit - up to 2lbs in either direction. If you do have GD, following the diet and controlling your blood sugars could help the baby return to a normal growth pattern and this hopefully won't be a concern then.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagememali26:
    That's something you probably need to ask your doctor, each will have their own opinion. I personally would not induce at 37 weeks just due to size, especially since growth u/s can be off by quite a bit - up to 2lbs in either direction. If you do have GD, following the diet and controlling your blood sugars could help the baby return to a normal growth pattern and this hopefully won't be a concern then.

This. They will probably watch you very, very closely, but a determination on course of action may not be made for a long time, depending on how you continue to progress.

Edited to add: I just re-read what I typed... I have been looking at way to many legal documents today. I'm sorry for the overly formal tone! I need to be done working. *headdesk*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks girls!

I don't want to have him to early either, I want him to bake as long as he needs to so that he has mature lungs, etc... but picturing this large baby and the risks of vaginal delivery with large babies scares me too!

I am a mess of emotions tonight about it!

• Options

I would seriously question a doctor who would induce before 39 weeks because of size. 

When you say you are measuring 4 weeks ahead, is that an ultrasound measurement or a fundal height measurement? The latter is far less accurate, and IMO not a reason to even think of inducing early.

If you stick to your GD diet, and monitor your sugars, your baby shouldn't grow abnormally quickly from here on out.

• Options
    The good news is that you are 28 weeks and 1 day pregnant.  You and your doctors have lots of time to control the growth pattern from now on.  GD babies (uncontrolled) tend to put weight on predominantly in their shoulders/trunk due to their excessive insulin production (a reaction to the excess sugar crossing the placenta).  Your blood sugar levels will be controlled from now on, either through diet/exercise or by adding meds.  Your LO should have a more even distribution of weight from now on.  LO will put weight on legs and arms in addition to trunk.  All you can do is your best to follow the diet, exercise, stay hydrated, and get good rest.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagelmjt:

I would seriously question a doctor who would induce before 39 weeks because of size. 

When you say you are measuring 4 weeks ahead, is that an ultrasound measurement or a fundal height measurement? The latter is far less accurate, and IMO not a reason to even think of inducing early.

If you stick to your GD diet, and monitor your sugars, your baby shouldn't grow abnormally quickly from here on out.

It is fundal height measurement; however, I have an ultrasound to check size next Tuesday.  

I am just pretty down about it, but your right, I have 12 weeks to change my eating habits to make sure I don't have a HUGE baby.

I just have to really focus and crack down.

• Options
    If you control your GD, then you are less likely to have a big baby (at least one that's big in the shoulders/trunk due to GD), so there's more motivation to stick to the diet :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If it's just fundal height you really don't even know if the baby is big or if you have excessive fluid. Are you confident you are 28 weeks? Could you be off by a weeknor two? I would try not to stress (easier said than done, I know!) until you have the u/s and get a better idea of what's going on. Best wishes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"